how to create simple Word billingual file without tags originally from Trados 2014
Thread poster: Atsushi O.
Atsushi O.
Atsushi O.
English to Japanese
Sep 1, 2014

Hello.

If I create billingual Word file for outer reviewers on Trados 2014, it is included with Trados tags.

I would like to create billingual file without those tags.

What do I have to do for it?

All tags are colured red and so we may be able to delete them by find & replace via font colour on Word.

However it will be hard work if it is necessary many times.

Please tell me if any good sollutions to create simple Word
... See more
Hello.

If I create billingual Word file for outer reviewers on Trados 2014, it is included with Trados tags.

What do I have to do for it?

All tags are colured red and so we may be able to delete them by find & replace via font colour on Word.

Please tell me if any good sollutions to create simple Word billingual file without tags originally from Trados 2014.

Thank you for your time.

[Edited at 2014-09-01 20:05 GMT]
Collapse

Paweł Lutze
Paweł Lutze  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:08
Member (2013)
English to Polish
+ ...
Some thoughts Sep 1, 2014

Hello.

It is pretty easy, but you won't be able to import such file back to Studio. It will be good only for visual checks, with Word opened in one window and Studio in another.

All tags are colured red and so we may be able to delete them by find & replace via font col
... See more
Hello.

It is pretty easy, but you won't be able to import such file back to Studio. It will be good only for visual checks, with Word opened in one window and Studio in another.

Create a macro in Word. It will be as easy as pushing a button on a toolbar. As far as I can see Studio 2014 assigns a style „Tag” to all tags. So use advanced search to find all „tag” styled text and put NOTHING in replace with box. This way you will get rid of all tags. Recording this operation as a macro and assigning it to a QAT will enable you to do the operation with a single mouse-click. However such files won't work in automated Review import, as I stated before.

HTH
Paweł
Collapse

Atsushi O.
Atsushi O.
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
my appreciation and hope in a future Sep 2, 2014

Thanks for your reply, Pawel.

It is no problem that created files are unavailable on Trados because they will be dealt with by the people who don't use Trados.

I will work at creating macro.

Is it impossible to create such files without tags immediately from Trados 2014?
I hope such a function will be added to Trados if it is impossible currently.

Thanks

[Edited at 2014-09-02 05:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-02 05:58 GMT]
... See more
Thanks for your reply, Pawel.

It is no problem that created files are unavailable on Trados because they will be dealt with by the people who don't use Trados.

I will work at creating macro.

Is it impossible to create such files without tags immediately from Trados 2014?

Thanks

[Edited at 2014-09-02 05:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-02 05:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-02 06:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-02 06:13 GMT]
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Why? Sep 2, 2014

Atsushi O. wrote:

I wouldn't hold my breath. The point of the two-column Word export is that the file can be imported back into Trados after review to generate the final target language file. An export without the tags makes that impossible, i.e. you won't be able to generate a target language file that matches the layout of the source file. Very few people want to get into that dead end. Why do you?

Atsushi O.
Atsushi O.
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
those files are used only for copy & paste Sep 2, 2014

Thank you for your post, FarkasAndras.

I understand a lot of Trados users use review Word file after correction to store the data in TM.

However I don't need it this time because the review files are used only for copy & paste on html source code of homepage.
A lot of tags disturb the work rather in such a case.
I individually used Trados on translation work asked by the client but Trados is not involved in working in their side this time.

Btw d
... See more
Thank you for your post, FarkasAndras.

I understand a lot of Trados users use review Word file after correction to store the data in TM.

However I don't need it this time because the review files are used only for copy & paste on html source code of homepage.
A lot of tags disturb the work rather in such a case.
I individually used Trados on translation work asked by the client but Trados is not involved in working in their side this time.

Btw do you know VBA macro to change font (like MS Gothic) and font size and delete tags on mulitiple Word files simultaneously (changing font style and size is also necessary)?

It is not easy for me as I have been away from macro creation for a while.

I would appreciate if you can show it.

(Especially "application filesearch" code which plays a role on dealing with multiple files in a folder seems to be unavailable anymore)

Thank you
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I see Sep 3, 2014

Atsushi O. wrote:

the review files are used only for copy & paste on html source code of homepage.

I see. Obviously, it would be much more efficient all around to generate the final HTML files with Trados instead of copy-pasting, but sometimes established poor workflows are left in place for various silly reasons.
I have no input on how to strip the word files.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Via html preview Sep 3, 2014

Use Print Preview to get a bilingual Word file without tags.

To do this:
Go to File>Print & View>Print Preview.
This will open a table-format html file in your browser, where you can use the options (top right-hand corner) to display tags or text only, remove the 3rd column and include/exclude comments.

Then select all, copy and paste in Word (or simply save as html).

HTH,
Emma

Mayamoon

Atsushi O.
Atsushi O.
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
bilingual file without tags was created Sep 3, 2014

Thanks for your post, Emma.

I could create a new bilingual Word file without tags by copy & paste like that.

This way doesn't leave debris of tags deleted (delineated texts. it depends on user setting of Word if it appears or not).

However unfortunately it may require long time than find & replace by Tags on each of Word files created collectively from Trados in case of big volume.

I could know there were various ways to create bilingual file.
... See more
Thanks for your post, Emma.

I could create a new bilingual Word file without tags by copy & paste like that.

This way doesn't leave debris of tags deleted (delineated texts. it depends on user setting of Word if it appears or not).

However unfortunately it may require long time than find & replace by Tags on each of Word files created collectively from Trados in case of big volume.

I could know there were various ways to create bilingual file.

I would appreciate about your idea anyhow.

[Edited at 2014-09-03 12:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-03 12:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-03 12:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-03 12:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-03 12:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-03 12:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-03 12:57 GMT]
Collapse

Kean Hall
Kean Hall
Italy
Member (2018)
Italian to English
Found this thread very useful...found a quick way to remove tags. Dec 19, 2019

The answer was "Export for Bilingual Review". Then in the "Styles" menu in the resulting Word document, R-click on "Tag" and "Select all instances". Then hit delete. Job done.

Delete tags

I was looking for the same thing as the original poster because I had a Trados package created from InDesign. I couldn't preview it in Trados (I guess because I don't have InDesign) and I had "Tag Soup", which meant proofreading errant spaces (or lack thereof) was extremely difficult. I came across this thread. The HTML solution was great, but I had no segment numbers, which meant painstakingly cross-referencing the document on Trados to find the mistakes.

(Obviously, this doesn't answer the question as to why I couldn't remove all tags in Trados and so proofread it there.)

ELS
Julio Madrid
Michael Beijer

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:08
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks for the useful tip Kean! Jun 23, 2022

Kean Hall wrote:

The answer was "Export for Bilingual Review". Then in the "Styles" menu in the resulting Word document, R-click on "Tag" and "Select all instances". Then hit delete. Job done.

Delete tags

I was looking for the same thing as the original poster because I had a Trados package created from InDesign. I couldn't preview it in Trados (I guess because I don't have InDesign) and I had "Tag Soup", which meant proofreading errant spaces (or lack thereof) was extremely difficult. I came across this thread. The HTML solution was great, but I had no segment numbers, which meant painstakingly cross-referencing the document on Trados to find the mistakes.

(Obviously, this doesn't answer the question as to why I couldn't remove all tags in Trados and so proofread it there.)

For my own workflow, after "Select all instances", instead of hitting Delete, I click Ctrl+Shift+H, and all the tags get hidden, making the text look much better.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to create simple Word billingual file without tags originally from Trados 2014

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »