Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Cannot import DOCX after external review (TRADOS 2011 SP2)
Thread poster: markau
markau
markau
Local time: 10:55
Jul 19, 2012

Hi everybody,

there is a new feature in TRADOS 2011 SP2.

This feature enables users to convert SDLXLIFF files into Microsoft Word documents and share their translations with reviewers who do not own a copy of Studio 2011.

Reviewed MS Word documents can be brought back into Studio 2011, as updated SDLXLIFF files, with all review changes, comments and track changes applied correctly.

The export works fine. The result are ... See more
Hi everybody,

there is a new feature in TRADOS 2011 SP2.

This feature enables users to convert SDLXLIFF files into Microsoft Word documents and share their translations with reviewers who do not own a copy of Studio 2011.

Reviewed MS Word documents can be brought back into Studio 2011, as updated SDLXLIFF files, with all review changes, comments and track changes applied correctly.

The export works fine. The result are DOCX with a table. But the import does not work.
I always get the message:

"Problem when merging content of segment 1"

But this segment is fine... ▲ Collapse

markau
markau
TOPIC STARTER
? Jul 19, 2012

Does this error occurs only on my setup?

Thanks in advanced.

Markus

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Any tags deleted? Jul 19, 2012

Did the export contain any tags that could be deleted by chance?

You could try to re-import the proofed DOCX using the "old" way, i.e. over the external SDLXLIFF Converter.

markau
markau
TOPIC STARTER
Works with the old Importer Jul 19, 2012

Thanks for your reply.

The import using the "old" way works. But only for changed units.
If a translation was missing and it is entered in the word file. It is not transferred into TRADOS after the import. Bug or Feature?

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
A feature, IMO Jul 19, 2012

Why would you want to check a document if you know some translations are missing? That's the original idea, IMO.

To overcome this, you could try to export the SDLXLIFF with untranslated segments populated with the source text.

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 01:55
English to Chinese
I got the same error message Jul 20, 2012

I received the same message when trying to import a reviewed bilingual file back to Studio using the built-in file updating feature. I ended up using the Converter to complete this task.

I did not have time to investigate whether there was something wrong with my file, but based on what Markus said, this seems to be a bug.

Chun-yi

markau wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

The import using the "old" way works. But only for changed units.
If a translation was missing and it is entered in the word file. It is not transferred into TRADOS after the import. Bug or Feature?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Can anyone... Jul 20, 2012

... share the sdlxliff they are trying to review that fails with the internal feature? We would be interested to see what may be causing the problem so it can be fixed if necessary.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Test Jul 20, 2012

Hi Paul,
I will try to test that with couple of files later today. I will let you know if there are any errors.

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Tested Jul 20, 2012

Hi all,
I've tested this with a bunch of SDLXLIFF files made from various file types (DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, IDML) and have experienced no problems whatsoever.

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 01:55
English to Chinese
I tested it again and it worked! Jul 21, 2012

It turned out that the problem I had during import no longer existed on my second try. I am happy to report that this new built-in Converter feature works fine in both export and import.

In retrospect, I guess the reason I had problems importing might be that I used the external Converter to convert the sdlxliff file to the bilingual docx file (before SP2 was available for download), and then used the Update from External Review feature in SP2 to import the bilingual file.
... See more
It turned out that the problem I had during import no longer existed on my second try. I am happy to report that this new built-in Converter feature works fine in both export and import.

In retrospect, I guess the reason I had problems importing might be that I used the external Converter to convert the sdlxliff file to the bilingual docx file (before SP2 was available for download), and then used the Update from External Review feature in SP2 to import the bilingual file.

I will be able to judge better when I receive the next edited file from my editor. For this testing I only made changes to one segment, so my finding may not be conclusive.

Chun-yi

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hi all,
I've tested this with a bunch of SDLXLIFF files made from various file types (DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, IDML) and have experienced no problems whatsoever.
Collapse

geliER
geliER
German to English
+ ...
Why must the sdlxliff converter still be used if the function is now integrated in SP2 Jul 27, 2012

Hi everybody,

I can only confirm what was said about the converter tool as a workaround for the new integrated docx-converter function. Although I can export trados files for proofreading directly from within the Studio 2011 software, I cannot reload the proofread files into Trados, and only the old sdlxliff converter tool helps. Hey guys at Trados, you still got some work to do!

Kind regards Angelika

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This functionn works... Jul 27, 2012

As long the file for revision is NOT being converted to any other format and opened just in Word 2007 or Word 2010. If you open it in Word 2003, the back conversion will break.
In such case copy the content of the target column *without copiyng the column title* into a newly converted file. After this procedure, provided no tags have been deleted, the conversion will work again.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:55
Finnish to French
SDLXLIFF converter has features not found in built-in function of SP2 Jul 27, 2012

geliER wrote:
Why must the sdlxliff converter still be used if the function is now integrated in SP2

See this post for explanations:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/183226-sdl_xliff_converter_for_microsoft_office.html#1985903

Imre Csonka (X)
Imre Csonka (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
The same problem occurs with me Sep 27, 2012

I am experiencing the same problem and I have tried the copy solution, which worked for small files, but didn't work out for a 120 page file. I "solved" the problem by manually editing the sdlx-file. The problem, by the way, pops up in SP2. I didn't experience this problem in SP1. Hope that this (sorry) bug gets solved soon.

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
I was having problems, too, but I found out what to do. Oct 4, 2012

When you Update External Review, be sure to overwrite the existing file when you get to the screen that asks you that. I think it's marked already as default. So your file that you bring back into Trados will have all the dots (filename.review.docx), not just only one at the end (.docx).

The other thing was, I had to copy the source to all the empty target segments before exporting it. That way, when I got it back, it showed "changes." Apparently track changes doesn't recogniz
... See more
When you Update External Review, be sure to overwrite the existing file when you get to the screen that asks you that. I think it's marked already as default. So your file that you bring back into Trados will have all the dots (filename.review.docx), not just only one at the end (.docx).

The other thing was, I had to copy the source to all the empty target segments before exporting it. That way, when I got it back, it showed "changes." Apparently track changes doesn't recognize from nothing to something as a "change."
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot import DOCX after external review (TRADOS 2011 SP2)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »