Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Cannot import DOCX after external review (TRADOS 2011 SP2)
Thread poster: markau
Andrée Tluste
Andrée Tluste  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:37
Member (2008)
Danish to German
+ ...
Thanks to Jerzy Nov 15, 2012

...this was, as far as I am concerend, the most useful tip. We probably not always know, what the reviewer is doing with the file, and just a little change as fx saving it in another Word version crashes everything. So thanks again for the tip how to fix it.
I also have already considered to correct the file - 9,000 words - manually, since the export did not work. But doing as Jerzy described solved it!
Kind regards, Andrée

Georges Petryk
Georges Petryk  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
English to French
Dec 28, 2012

[Edited at 2012-12-28 06:18 GMT]

Cecile Proveur
Cecile Proveur  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Import the docx file still failed Jul 11, 2013

I experienced the same problem and am struggling with it since yesterday :
I delivered my translation in .sdlxliff and .docx, the reviewer did the revision under .docx and now I try to import this .docx file and always have the same error message : The document layout cannot be identified ...
The document is more than 10 000 words long ... I don't have the time to do the corrections manually ...
Could anyone help me find a solution to this bug ?
Thanks a lot !
Cecil
... See more
I experienced the same problem and am struggling with it since yesterday :
I delivered my translation in .sdlxliff and .docx, the reviewer did the revision under .docx and now I try to import this .docx file and always have the same error message : The document layout cannot be identified ...
The document is more than 10 000 words long ... I don't have the time to do the corrections manually ...
Could anyone help me find a solution to this bug ?
Thanks a lot !
Cecile
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
We don't know if it is a bug! Jul 11, 2013

Hi Cecile,

Can you share the sdlxliff, the docx you sent out, and the docx you got back?

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

Cecile Proveur
English to French
+ ...
Thank You Paul ! Jul 11, 2013

I just sent You the documents per mail !
It is quite large, don't hesitate to come back to me if you don't receive anything.
Thanks a lot in advance for your feedback
Cecile

Cecile Proveur
English to French
+ ...
Hi Paul ! Jul 12, 2013

Did you receive my files ? Did you find out what went wrong ? As I couldn't solve my problem with Studio 2011 SP2 I also tried "the old way" as mentionned earlier and tried to import the docx file using sdl xliff converter but I got the same failure notice : "the layout of the document cannot be identified" ... Has someone already experienced this ? I must send back the file today so I will really appreciate anyone who could help me with this !
Many thanks in advance !
Cecile

Eva Leitner
Eva Leitner  Identity Verified
Germany
Russian to German
+ ...
making further corrections after updating the edited file doesn't work Aug 5, 2013

Hi,

I have successfully updated the edited file, but when I want to make changes in the segments that were already edited and updated, I get the error message "edited text can not be changed as long as the track changes function is active".
Where can I switch off this function in Trados - or is this impossible?
(It has nothing to do with the track changes function in the word document I load up for update; I have tried that, but it makes no difference).

Kind
... See more
Hi,

I have successfully updated the edited file, but when I want to make changes in the segments that were already edited and updated, I get the error message "edited text can not be changed as long as the track changes function is active".
Where can I switch off this function in Trados - or is this impossible?
(It has nothing to do with the track changes function in the word document I load up for update; I have tried that, but it makes no difference).

Kind Regards,
Eva
Collapse

Tech_Trans
Tech_Trans
United Kingdom
Any further update from SDL? Aug 22, 2013

Hi,

I've just searched for this same problem, which I have also been experiencing. I posted my own forum topic back in June, had a few responses from SDL and then it's gone silent - like this post it seems. My problems seem to be mostly with Korean and Arabic - two languages which I really don't want (or have time) to update manually but it looks as though I have no choice. The tags in my exported Word file appear identical, and the file is (and always has been) in .docx format, no
... See more
Hi,

I've just searched for this same problem, which I have also been experiencing. I posted my own forum topic back in June, had a few responses from SDL and then it's gone silent - like this post it seems. My problems seem to be mostly with Korean and Arabic - two languages which I really don't want (or have time) to update manually but it looks as though I have no choice. The tags in my exported Word file appear identical, and the file is (and always has been) in .docx format, no earlier. If anyone could let me know what worked for them, I'd be grateful!

Thanks,
Claire
Collapse

Greg Irving (X)
Greg Irving (X)  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Dutch to English
+ ...
A way out of troubel tip! Oct 14, 2013

I had this problem after editing a 15,000 word external review file. This may have been caused by moving th file form laptop to PC. I was so frustrated when Trados kept stopping at 54% of the update and telling me 'error in segment #' (note: no actual number mentioned).

I really needed to get all that work into Traods so as to produce the target file needed by the client.

Eventually m brain kicked back into gear and came up with the solution.

1 - I renamed
... See more
I had this problem after editing a 15,000 word external review file. This may have been caused by moving th file form laptop to PC. I was so frustrated when Trados kept stopping at 54% of the update and telling me 'error in segment #' (note: no actual number mentioned).

I really needed to get all that work into Traods so as to produce the target file needed by the client.

Eventually m brain kicked back into gear and came up with the solution.

1 - I renamed the external review file (the one with my corrections)

2 - I opened the orignal trados file (still without corrections)

3- Exported for external review

4 - I opened both the new external review file and the renamed one (with editing done) in Word

5 - I selected the target column in the edited version and pasted it into the target column of the new external review file and saved it.

6- I went back to Trados and imported from extenal review

7 - I lept from my chair, cheering as if I had just scored a goal!

It worked and the client got his three files on time!

Hope this helps somebody get out of trouble.
Collapse

Taru Laiho
Taru Laiho
Local time: 03:37
Finnish to English
+ ...
Same problem here Jan 8, 2014

I experienced the problem described above for the first time today even though I've sent countless Word files for external review before. I suspect that the reviewer accidentally changed some of the Word file's properties and that caused the problem.

I didn't have time to try anything fancy to correct the problem, so I simply went through the corrections in the file the reviewer had sent to me, created a new external review file and copypasted the corrected text in the appropriate c
... See more
I experienced the problem described above for the first time today even though I've sent countless Word files for external review before. I suspect that the reviewer accidentally changed some of the Word file's properties and that caused the problem.

I didn't have time to try anything fancy to correct the problem, so I simply went through the corrections in the file the reviewer had sent to me, created a new external review file and copypasted the corrected text in the appropriate column (after first having disabled Word's Track Changes feature, which I believe is on as the default in the external review files). This solved the problem.
Collapse

matx
matx
Don`t know the answer, but know one possible reason Jan 30, 2014

I had the same problem, it actually was in the comments. My revisor removed in the word one comment coming out of the Studio and put some more of his. Even after deleting his commets, I couldn`t put the comment of the Studio back with the same "user" because it strengly changes the name of the user back in word. I end up by copying right column, but then I had the track changes accepted and disappeared.

[Edited at 2014-01-30 08:10 GMT]

Maciek Drobka
Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Just worked for me! Mar 19, 2014

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

As long the file for revision is NOT being converted to any other format and opened just in Word 2007 or Word 2010. If you open it in Word 2003, the back conversion will break.
In such case copy the content of the target column *without copiyng the column title* into a newly converted file. After this procedure, provided no tags have been deleted, the conversion will work again.

Hi Jerzy,

Your advice has just saved me a few hours of unpaid work after my first attempt to Update from External Review failed.

Thanks a lot!

Maciek

XTWATL
XTWATL
United States
Local time: 17:37
Spanish to English
*.DOCX files Mar 20, 2014

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

As long the file for revision is NOT being converted to any other format and opened just in Word 2007 or Word 2010. If you open it in Word 2003, the back conversion will break.
In such case copy the content of the target column *without copiyng the column title* into a newly converted file. After this procedure, provided no tags have been deleted, the conversion will work again.

If you're using an older copy of Microsoft Word that does not accept *.DOCX files, you go to the Microsoft.com website and download a module that will enable acceptance.

Sometimes, if you have a weird error in your word processor program, and you're desperate, you can do a copy from the word processor, then paste it into Windows notepad. That will force removal of all special formatting codes, leaving just plain text. Then you can copy and paste that to a new file of your choice. Doing that gets rid of ALL formatting, macros, and any other mysterious anomalies. Paragraphs and tabs are not removed. After that you will need to redo bold, italic, point sizes, type styles, etc.

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:37
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
What about tracked changes? Oct 4, 2014

I ran into the same problem and tried the solution as spelled out in 7 steps by Greg - with mixed results, at least not what I was expecting or hoping for.

I was able to import the edits but it doesn't really show the edits only. The moment you copy-paste the target column of the revised file into the target column of the "original" output file, it replaces ALL text with the new target segments, and the entire text is showing as deleted and changed (of course, when track changes is
... See more
I ran into the same problem and tried the solution as spelled out in 7 steps by Greg - with mixed results, at least not what I was expecting or hoping for.

I was able to import the edits but it doesn't really show the edits only. The moment you copy-paste the target column of the revised file into the target column of the "original" output file, it replaces ALL text with the new target segments, and the entire text is showing as deleted and changed (of course, when track changes is on). When you turn track changes off, then NO track changes will be shown:

In other words, this works in order to get the edited text in your sdlxliff, but it doesn't help going over individual edits and accept or reject them one by one. Why would you want to do this? I may as well process them manually between the word doc and the sdlxliff... No?

Edit: I had a question in another thread on how to process reviews, and I think the solution that Luisa Ramos describes there would work in combination with this issue here: to process the edits in the external review, then, if needed, copy/paste that column into the correct exported version and then import it back into Studio.
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/275422-how_to_process_edited_sdlxliff_files.html#2346287

[Edited at 2014-10-04 06:35 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@XTWATL (replying to an old post) Oct 4, 2014

XTWATL wrote:
Jerzy Czopik wrote:

If you're using an older copy of Microsoft Word that does not accept *.DOCX files, you go to the Microsoft.com website and download a module that will enable acceptance.

Actually, no. That is in fact what surprises many people. Even if you do have the module installed that allows you to create, open, edit and save DOCX files in Word 2003, the back-conversion into Trados will break if you saved the file using Word 2003.

[Edited at 2014-10-04 08:10 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot import DOCX after external review (TRADOS 2011 SP2)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »