Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Thread poster: Denise Phelps
Denise Phelps
Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 21, 2011

New to Trados studio and translating a technical document full of equations originally in Word, this error message comes up whenever I try to save the target text. I've looked at previous forum entries on this subject, but my grasp of tech talk is insufficient to implement the advice. In ordinary English, what can I do?

Thanks.

Sam Pinson
Sam Pinson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:13
Member (2011)
Russian to English
Restart Trados Dec 21, 2011

SDL Trados is wildly buggy software. The error message you are seeing indicates a flaw in the software. Once you've seen this, you can't really trust the program (if you did to begin with). It may crash or fail to execute other operations as expected at any moment. My practice is to restart the program when this happens, which it does all too frequently.

Denise Phelps
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
restart Trados Dec 21, 2011

Hi Sam, thanks for the reply - do you mean just close and reopen, or something more radical?

[Edited at 2011-12-22 00:16 GMT]

Sam Pinson
Sam Pinson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:13
Member (2011)
Russian to English
Close and reopen Dec 21, 2011

I just mean close and reopen Trados.

Denise Phelps
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Dec 22, 2011

Hmmm. Closing and reopening didn't work. Just in case this happens to anyone else, here's what I did: opened the source document in its original format and saved a copy with a different name. Opened the newly named source document in Trados. Sat back and watched the translation memory translate, and then saved the target document. No problem. Admittedly the translation memory has generated a slightly earlier version of the target document (I will have to revise again), but easier than copy... See more
Hmmm. Closing and reopening didn't work. Just in case this happens to anyone else, here's what I did: opened the source document in its original format and saved a copy with a different name. Opened the newly named source document in Trados. Sat back and watched the translation memory translate, and then saved the target document. No problem. Admittedly the translation memory has generated a slightly earlier version of the target document (I will have to revise again), but easier than copying and pasting to a Word document and reformatting.Collapse

Rui Allen Massunda

Jutta Deichselberger
Jutta Deichselberger  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
Same problem and much too often... Dec 22, 2011

The next time I will try your solution, Denise!

Master page overridden by body pages Feb 4, 2012

Hi everybody,

I'm new to these boards but I work with these problems day in and day out so hopefully I can provide some assistance...

This is caused by sloppy authoring.

If you have FrameMaker and you open the file, you will probably get a message saying that the file contains bad cross references.

Once the file is open, change the view to "Master Pages," then switch the view back to "Body Pages." You will receive a message saying that the body
... See more
Hi everybody,

I'm new to these boards but I work with these problems day in and day out so hopefully I can provide some assistance...

This is caused by sloppy authoring.

If you have FrameMaker and you open the file, you will probably get a message saying that the file contains bad cross references.

Once the file is open, change the view to "Master Pages," then switch the view back to "Body Pages." You will receive a message saying that the body pages were overriding the masterpages in so many areas of the document. Revert the overrides back to the master page layout, resave the MIF and it will open without a problem.

There could be other causes for this kind of error but this usually works. Additional publishing may be needed to fix any layout issues that arise from removing the overrides. If you do not have FM you will have to ask your client to clean it up, telling them that the body pages should not override the master pages. The DTP folks should understand what that means.

I have notified SDL of this issue and they say they will deal with it. We shall see...
Collapse

ClareR
ClareR
Local time: 19:13
still not working Feb 13, 2012

Hi everyone, I'm having the same problem with Studio 2011, but it's not going away, even after trying Denise's solution. I appreciate the technical advice given by the last subscriber but wonder if I would be able to do it myself. Is FrameMaker accessible to an ordinary user or would I need to contact SDL (assuming they'll help)?

Kathleen Misson
Kathleen Misson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
I found one solution to this Feb 27, 2012

I was sent an xlf file (an export from MemoQ). I created a project for the file and received the error message 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object'.
However, when I opened the file directly from the File Menu... Open... It opened ok without any errors.

Metin_Ozer (X)
Metin_Ozer (X)  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 21:13
English to Turkish
+ ...
Renaming the source file solves the problem Oct 20, 2012

Thank you very much Denise, just wanted to confirm that your solution worked (on a problematic Excel file) like a charm for me too. Regards.

Thiago Assumpção

Miguel RM
Miguel RM
Local time: 03:13
Japanese to English
Try creating a new login account on your PC Aug 10, 2013

Hi there,

I finally found something that worked for me to solve this. Try creating a new user account on your PC. Provided you installed Trados to allow all users on your PC to use the software, Trados should be accessible on the new account. You'll have to jump through a few hoops to set the program up (i.e. choose languages, etc.) but then once that's done you should be able to use Trados as though it were "fresh out of the box", so to speak.

I don't know if this will
... See more
Hi there,

I finally found something that worked for me to solve this. Try creating a new user account on your PC. Provided you installed Trados to allow all users on your PC to use the software, Trados should be accessible on the new account. You'll have to jump through a few hoops to set the program up (i.e. choose languages, etc.) but then once that's done you should be able to use Trados as though it were "fresh out of the box", so to speak.

I don't know if this will fix things permanently but it's a great way to bandage the problem temporarily for anyone that's facing a deadline and has come here looking for help.

Here is how to create a new account on Windows 7:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-7
Collapse

William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Studio 2014 bought... Nov 12, 2013

... and the problems still there

Mariflor Salas

Anila Mayhew (X)
Anila Mayhew (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:13
English to Albanian
+ ...
What worked for me Mar 21, 2014

None of above solutions worked for me. In fact, the error message affected all my files not just one. I even tried opening brand new files not related to that particular project and the problem persisted. What worked for me is Solution 1 on the SDL p... See more
None of above solutions worked for me. In fact, the error message affected all my files not just one. I even tried opening brand new files not related to that particular project and the problem persisted. What worked for me is Solution 1 on the SDL page through the link below:

http://kb.sdl.com/?portalid=23&articleid=4984#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4984

Hope this helps.

Anila
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: User request.
Ana Naglić
Ana Naglić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes! Dec 18, 2014

Denise Phelps wrote:

opened the source document in its original format and saved a copy with a different name. Opened the newly named source document in Trados.

This worked for me, too

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »