Sara Lurago
Sara Lurago  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:52
Member (2009)
French to Italian
+ ...
May 24, 2011

Good morning to everybody, I am trying to buy Trados, but when I arrive to place the order and I record my VAT number it appears: "VAT number is invalid"...
Can you help me?
Thank you very much.
SARA

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:52
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Country code? May 24, 2011

Hello Sara,

perhaps, silly question, but have you entered your Country code? In your case ITxxxxxx. I presume your VAT is registered in the VIES...?

Giuliana

Sara Lurago
Italy
Member (2009)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks May 24, 2011

No, what is VIES? What can I do to register on it?

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
VIES May 24, 2011

VIES is a useful tool to check the client's VAT number. I use it every time I get a new client to check the VAT number which I am required to write on my invoices. I hereby recommend this! If you're registered correctly as a company with the proper authorities, your VAT number should check out in VIES. Sometimes it only says that it's a valid number, and sometimes it gives the full details on the company in question. It depends on what is registe... See more
VIES is a useful tool to check the client's VAT number. I use it every time I get a new client to check the VAT number which I am required to write on my invoices. I hereby recommend this! If you're registered correctly as a company with the proper authorities, your VAT number should check out in VIES. Sometimes it only says that it's a valid number, and sometimes it gives the full details on the company in question. It depends on what is registered originally. The address is: http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/vieshome.do

Jørgen

[Edited at 2011-05-24 06:40 GMT]
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:52
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
EU business May 24, 2011

Hi,

you can check online. If I recall correctly, VAT nos active before Jan 1st 2010 were included automatically and are listed. Simply enter your VAT no with your Country code.

If your VAT is not listed, ask your tax advisor.

Giuliana

Sara Lurago
Italy
Member (2009)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
EU Business May 24, 2011

I tried to enter ITxxx but it doesn't run... I have the VAT number since 2005

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
VIES May 24, 2011

In Spain you have to go to the Tax Office in person to register your tax number on VIES and then it takes 1-2 months to appear on the VIES website.
Italy may have a different procedure, however.

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Contact your tax authority May 24, 2011

and register for EU VAT ID. This should be free of charge and the number itself remains the same with the prefix IT.

Your EU VAT ID appears than in VIES database and you will be able to invoice customers in other EU countries without charging VAT. When buying Trados, your ID should be recognized correctly.

Regards

A.

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Do not enter the country code May 24, 2011

Sara Lurago wrote:

I tried to enter ITxxx but it doesn't run... I have the VAT number since 2005

First choose your country, then enter your VAT No. without the country code (IT).
The country code is added automatically when you enter your country.

[Edited at 2011-05-24 08:22 GMT]

Piotr
Piotr
Vies VAT Validation Nov 5, 2011

I found a website ( http://vatnumber.info/ ) where you can verify several VAT numbers at once.
direct link: http://vatnumber.info/en/vies_mass_vat_numbers_validation.html
List of VAT numbers you can copy from a text file, ods or xls and paste into the VIES form. For many it can b
... See more
I found a website ( http://vatnumber.info/ ) where you can verify several VAT numbers at once.
direct link: http://vatnumber.info/en/vies_mass_vat_numbers_validation.html
List of VAT numbers you can copy from a text file, ods or xls and paste into the VIES form. For many it can be very helpful.
Collapse

Patricia Machado
Patricia Machado  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Country code Nov 13, 2018

It worked for me to include "PT" in front of my VAT number, which is Portuguese.
Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT number is invalid

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »