How do I connect to Google translate with Studio 2009?
Thread poster: Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:11
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Mar 8, 2010

I thought I would like to give Google Translate another try (I tried automated translation in suite 2007 and didn't like it).
So in Studio 2009 I went to language pairs>translation memory & automated translation> add Google translation provider and then I get asked "By connecting do you agree to send text..." but there is no box to click OK.
So I don't get anywhere.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:11
Spanish
+ ...
Yes box Mar 8, 2010

Hi Emma,

There should be a 'Yes' box on the bottom of the pop-up. If you can't see it, just press 'Y'. Just keep in mind that using Google Translate could go against any NDA you might have signed.

Regards,

Claudia

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 10:11
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
A healthy alternative is... Mar 8, 2010

... to use an auxiliary program as the Client for Google Translate (http://translateclient.com/) which works via the clipboard, bypassing SDL TRADOS and giving you the choice to avoid feeding your work to Google memories: just clic on the icon at bottom right of the screen and untick 'Use "Contribute a Better Translation" in the Settings dialog.

I have tried it with WordFast Classic and Pro and
... See more
... to use an auxiliary program as the Client for Google Translate (http://translateclient.com/) which works via the clipboard, bypassing SDL TRADOS and giving you the choice to avoid feeding your work to Google memories: just clic on the icon at bottom right of the screen and untick 'Use "Contribute a Better Translation" in the Settings dialog.

I have tried it with WordFast Classic and Pro and with DéjàVu.

Ummmm ... did I mention that Client for Google Translate is free?

Regards

Jorge Payan
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:11
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Emma Mar 8, 2010

I also cannot see the box but pressing Enter solves the problem

Best Regards
Stanislaw

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Y and enter work Mar 8, 2010

Thanks Claudia and Stanislaw, both Y and enter work in the absence of a "yes" box

@ Jorge: I will investigate your suggestions, thanks.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Looks remarkably like T-Windows for Clipboard ;-) Mar 9, 2010

Jorge Payan wrote:

I have tried it with WordFast Classic and Pro and with DéjàVu.

Ummmm ... did I mention that Client for Google Translate is free?

Regards

Jorge Payan

I wouldn't want to stop you using anything you find useful, but it would be worth noting that the api call to Google from this tool is probably the same as the one used by Studio. It would be worth taking care if you use this under the impression it is different simply because there is no warning. Perhaps you should double check with the author?

Regards

Paul

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Does your work feed Google Translate? Mar 9, 2010

Now, the very critical question here is: does your work in Studio linked to Google Translate feed Google's resources?

Isn't it a bit unprofessional to use Google Translate in that case without warning your customers that their text will be available all over the world?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Studio and Google Mar 9, 2010

Hi Tomás,

Google has only been available in our products as a Machine Translation option since SP2. When you set it up you are presented with a warning that you are sending your source text to a third party provider and it is your responsibility to ensure that this will not breach any NDA that you are under. We also hold data in the bilingual file to show that the target was translated in this way and who the provider was so for translators working with packages or returning sdlx
... See more
Hi Tomás,

Google has only been available in our products as a Machine Translation option since SP2. When you set it up you are presented with a warning that you are sending your source text to a third party provider and it is your responsibility to ensure that this will not breach any NDA that you are under. We also hold data in the bilingual file to show that the target was translated in this way and who the provider was so for translators working with packages or returning sdlxliff files to a customer who also has Studio it will be evident. This is also flagged when you choose to use the Machine Translation option.

Whether or not Google actually uses the source material I cannot be certain, but as we provide the ability to connect to many Machine Translation facilities we ensure the translator is aware that this means the source will have to be parsed through the MT provider and we retain an audit trail of this.

What we don't do is share the corrected targets so the source material itself is probably not that useful for Google (just my opinion), but we still feel it is appropriate to provide the warning.

I think this is a responsible way to use free Machine Translation providers and at the end of the day the choice of whether it is used or not is yours. If you are connecting to your customers customised Machine Translation solution then of course this will not be a problem at all.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Add Google translate window has been fixed Mar 26, 2010

Just to let everyone know that the issue with the pop-up window that appears when you select Google Translate as a TM for a project is now working fine with the autoupdate hotfix that was released a few days ago for Studio.

(The problem was that the "Yes" "no" boxes were not always visible)

Anatoly Dragan
Anatoly Dragan  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:11
Hebrew to Russian
+ ...
Hello you already overcome some steps with connect to API Google Translation Feb 25, 2019

I can t to authorized - don t understand how .
In Google Translator I have this API.
when I open Project in SDL Trados 2014 SP2
in some step Trados offer to connect to server Google Translate : Log in to http://translate.google.com/
and there are two option
Use windows Authentication
or Use SDL authentication
I don t understand which ?
after that I fill or Wind
... See more
I can t to authorized - don t understand how .
In Google Translator I have this API.
when I open Project in SDL Trados 2014 SP2
in some step Trados offer to connect to server Google Translate : Log in to http://translate.google.com/
and there are two option
Use windows Authentication
or Use SDL authentication
I don t understand which ?
after that I fill or Windows or Trados autehnt
I receive Error Please check that you have entered the correct server connection settings and that the server is available.....
thank you in advance for all suggestions
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I connect to Google translate with Studio 2009?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »