How do I insert symbols in the target language text with Trados?
Thread poster: Zuzana Lancosova
Zuzana Lancosova
Zuzana Lancosova
Slovakia
Local time: 20:31
English to Slovak
+ ...
Dec 4, 2009

I am proofreading in Trados. I have files showing both source and target language texts. How do I insert symbols, such as degrees C or others in the target lang. text?
Thank you.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-12-05 12:50 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Just the same way Dec 4, 2009

...as you do that in other programs. Nothing special. If you can't find any character, you can use the Windows Character Map.

Zuzana Lancosova
Zuzana Lancosova
Slovakia
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It´s a problem, Dec 5, 2009

because I cannot see any options with symbols. I´m working in the Tag Editor. Some options are not active. Is it because I´m proofreading .rtf files?
I´m new to Trados...

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
Shortcuts Dec 5, 2009

For degrees I believe it's Alt + 248 on the numerical keyboard, but you can look these things up e.g. by opening Word, clicking Insert - Symbols. There you should find the symbols, and the shortcuts will be in there too.
These shortcuts should work in TagEditor as well.

Perhaps there is an easier way to find these shortcuts, I don't know, but this should work.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
New to Trados? Dec 6, 2009

zuziqua wrote:

because I cannot see any options with symbols. I´m working in the Tag Editor. Some options are not active. Is it because I´m proofreading .rtf files?
I´m new to Trados...

No offence, but I believe you are new to computers. You insert special characters in TagEditor exactly the same way as you do in ANY text editor. Use your keyboard.

Jim Shanks
Jim Shanks
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:31
Dutch to English
Copy? Dec 6, 2009

Have you tried copying them from the source text? Highlight the text to copy, press Control + c, move to the target segment where you want to insert the symbol and press Control + v

Tom Tyson
Tom Tyson  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:31
German to English
Yes Dec 6, 2009

Jim is right - if you can't find a keyboard shortcut then you can just copy and paste the original.

Zuzana Lancosova
Zuzana Lancosova
Slovakia
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cheers Feb 2, 2010

Thank you for all the comments.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:01
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Typing degree symbol in trados Sep 8, 2015

PCovs wrote:

For degrees I believe it's Alt + 248 on the numerical keypad.

This didn't work for me at first, but when I used the number pad instead of the main keyboard it worked. I wonder what people who do not have a number pad on their keyboard (for example some laptops) would do?

Also, typing ALT + 0176 on the number pad also produced the degree symbol. I wonder if these two symbols are the same or different:

ALT + 0176 ----> °

ALT + 248 ----> °

They look the same to me, the second one probably a shade smaller?

The other advice of copying from the source would not have worked for me, as the source did not have the degree symbol (had a single inverted coma (') instead). The instruction to replace this with a degree symbol came in a separate mark-up on the pdf of the source.

[Edited at 2015-09-08 09:39 GMT]

Erick Zind
Erick Zind
Virgin Islands (U.S.)
Yes it simple on PC Sep 17, 2019

Degree Symbol on PC: Hold down the Alt key, and on the numeric keypad on the right of the keyboard, type 0176 or Alt+ 248

Result: 360 °

[Edited at 2019-09-17 21:47 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I insert symbols in the target language text with Trados?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »