Looking for tips to avoid scams by working with individuals not companies!
Thread poster: Dalia Nour
Dalia Nour
Dalia Nour  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 23:21
Member (2018)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jun 2, 2020

Hello,

I hope you all are good and safe!

I want some tips to protect my rights, when I work with individuals whom require my translation service. It's hard to find a website or anything could ensure that they are an authentic people. So, do you refuse working with them and you work ONLY with translation companies? Or you work with individuals whom require your services, but you follow some specific procedures?

Your tips will be much appreciated!

... See more
Hello,

I hope you all are good and safe!

I want some tips to protect my rights, when I work with individuals whom require my translation service. It's hard to find a website or anything could ensure that they are an authentic people. So, do you refuse working with them and you work ONLY with translation companies? Or you work with individuals whom require your services, but you follow some specific procedures?

Your tips will be much appreciated!

Kind regards,
Dalia
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:21
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
B2B or B2C assignments? Jun 2, 2020

Dalia Nour wrote:

I'm not sure whether you're referring to private individuals or to business clients who aren't translation agencies, i.e. companies who need the translation for their business.

For private individuals, I always ask for 50-100% advance payment for smaller jobs and at least 25% plus staged payments for book-length projects.

For direct business clients and fellow professionals, I rarely ask for any advance payment -- just a small percentage for very big projects. It just isn't the normal way businesses do business. I research them thoroughly first. Google for "Due Diligence" or "Risk Management" for ideas. There are many steps you can take, and I take some or all for every new client, depending both on how I feel about them, and how much I stand to lose if they don't pay. I also set a credit limit for all clients, even though I don't tell them how much it is. Even regular clients can hit hard times or fall under the proverbial bus, so I never let things get too out of hand. Fortunately, I've yet to lose a cent to scammers but I have had two client bankruptcies in 20+ years.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Arianne Farah
Yolanda Broad
Dalia Nour
Samara Serralheiro

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Build trust gradually Jun 2, 2020

The easiest way to avoid scams is to build trust gradually and create long term relationships with clients. That works with individuals as well as with companies. With a new client (or agency), start with smaller assignments, communicate a lot, and see if all works out, including the payment. The client also benefits from this mutual confidence building.

Kevin Fulton
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Dan Lucas
Yolanda Broad
Sheila Wilson
Dalia Nour
Viesturs Lacis

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 00:21
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
Upfront payment Jun 2, 2020

100% upfront payment for the first small project. An individual client who finds me through Proz must have seen what reassures them about me in my profile and my WWA feedback, but I have nothing to help me confirm their reliability. The wise ones understand that and proceed.
After the first job, I usually start treating them like any translation company, but with much shorter payment terms.

Dalia Nour

Dalia Nour
Dalia Nour  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2018)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 4, 2020

Thank you so much for all your valuable tips. I totally appreciate them!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for tips to avoid scams by working with individuals not companies!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »