Thread poster: Ana Lin
Ana Lin
Ana Lin  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Chinese to Spanish
+ ...
May 6, 2020

Hello,

Does anyone had worked for [redacted by site staff] before? Is this a scam?

This company posted a job in March, I completed with my basic information in their system (even with the rate I charge), after a month when I forgot about them, they asked me to sign other documentations without stating any rate. Also, they were supposed to send me a translation test that never arrived after asking several times.

After a couple of weeks later, they suddenly a
... See more
Hello,

Does anyone had worked for [redacted by site staff] before? Is this a scam?

This company posted a job in March, I completed with my basic information in their system (even with the rate I charge), after a month when I forgot about them, they asked me to sign other documentations without stating any rate. Also, they were supposed to send me a translation test that never arrived after asking several times.

After a couple of weeks later, they suddenly asked me to start a 7400 words translation on their TM system without sending me a formal PO. I started the translation and figure it out that it was around 13k words. I then asked for a formal PO, and they keep delaying it and saying it is the total word count discounting the repetitions and fuzzy matches, and that they will be sending the PO as soon as possible, but it's been a week. I've already delivered more than 4000 words through their system.

Today, after sending another email asking for the PO and letting them know that I will not continue with the work before receiving it, they sent me an email saying that they will be sending the PO as soon as possible, and then another email asking if I can check another "translation test" that should take 15min and they are willing to pay $7, again without a PO or the file. They also replied that they would send me the PO in a couple of hours after I asked for the PO of this last assignment.

Thank you and I hope I can solve this matter soon.

[Edited at 2020-05-06 10:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-05-06 10:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-05-06 12:11 GMT]
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:11
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Sadly May 6, 2020

Hello Ana,

this sounds so much like they're trying their best to get translations for free. Even worse, they ask you to pay additional fees.

Let me guess, you haven't seen a single PO yet, have you?

Send them your invoice for the work done, clearly displaying the fact that they never sent you a proper PO. Give them a rather tight payment date and see what happens.

Good luck!

Thayenga

Ana Lin
writeaway
Philip Lees

Ana Lin
Taiwan
Chinese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Scam May 6, 2020

Thayenga wrote:

Hello Ana,

this sounds so much like they're trying their best to get translations for free. Even worse, they ask you to pay additional fees.

Let me guess, you haven't seen a single PO yet, have you?

Send them your invoice for the work done, clearly displaying the fact that they never sent you a proper PO. Give them a rather tight payment date and see what happens.

Good luck!

Thayenga

----------------------------

Hello Thayenga,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I'm afraid you are right, it's been almost 10 hours ago they told me they will send the PO today and nothing. I will do that, I will send them my invoice for the work I have done so far.

Thank you!

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Sorry to hear May 6, 2020

Paying a fee for registering is an absolute NO GO and a sign of a scam (or at the least a reason not to work for them). They should pay you, not the other way around.

Furthermore, I hope it works out for you. If it does, stop working for them anyway. If it doesn't, "fine" them on the Blueboard.

Ana Lin
Taiwan
Chinese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still wating May 6, 2020

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Paying a fee for registering is an absolute NO GO and a sign of a scam (or at the least a reason not to work for them). They should pay you, not the other way around.

Furthermore, I hope it works out for you. If it does, stop working for them anyway. If it doesn't, "fine" them on the Blueboard.

Hello Robert,

Sorry, they didn't ask me for any fee, I was meaning I provided the "rate" in the system. Anyway, I hope they can solve the system problem they said they are having. Thanks~

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Not???? May 6, 2020

Ana Lin wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Hello Robert,

Sorry, they didn't ask me for any fee, I was meaning I provided the "rate" in the system. Anyway, I hope they can solve the system problem they said they are having. Thanks~

They didn'ask you a fee? Sorry, my mistake.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:11
Japanese to English
+ ...
Purchase order issuance May 7, 2020

Never ever work without a purchase order or a contract.

Ana Lin

Ana Lin
Taiwan
Chinese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still waiting May 8, 2020

I really want to believe that they have a system problem that they are updating, but then I received the PO with my name typed wrong, and the same reply and no rectified PO. Today, I sent another email and I receive an authomatic reply that the person is out of office till the day of my deadline, which is next Tuesday.

I'm sure the company is reading this message and I hope they can clarify my concern with more details. Thanks.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 03:11
Chinese to English
+ ...
New system May 8, 2020

I do know that the referenced agency just moved to a new system at the end of last month.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible scam, company asked for 13k words without PO

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »