Thread poster: Achin
Achin
Achin  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:17
German to Chinese
+ ...
Oct 22, 2019

That was not a pleasant experience but I would like to share with all of member fellows to prevent further incidents.

This August I received an email "[ProZ.com mail] j'ai besoin d'un traducteur"(I am freelancer for French/English to Chinese),

寄件者: via ProZ.com
回覆至:
收件者: [email protected]
日期: 2019年8月9日 下午10:06
主旨: [ProZ.com mail] j'ai besoin d'un
... See more
That was not a pleasant experience but I would like to share with all of member fellows to prevent further incidents.

This August I received an email "[ProZ.com mail] j'ai besoin d'un traducteur"(I am freelancer for French/English to Chinese),

寄件者: via ProZ.com
回覆至:
收件者: [email protected]
日期: 2019年8月9日 下午10:06
主旨: [ProZ.com mail] j'ai besoin d'un traducteur
寄件人: bane.proz.com

Author: S* Ch*l
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 73.202.250.27
Message type: Job-related

-----------

Bonjour, j'aimerais savoir si vous pourrez traduire un
document à utiliser pour une présentation.

[email protected]

So I made a Fee Proposal datailed with the rate and leadtime, she signed back with agreement.

after a month, she kept asking me to confirm with her about the payment, but I have not received any... and she threatened me by email:
"Are you playing games with me? Why are you saying this now that you have the money. I want to have my money back and if you fail to reply my email then I will contact the police"

in the end, my bank called me to say that they received a cheque with more than 13,000 euro, which is way too much from what I quoted... I refused the cheque but ask the bank to post the cheque to my address, it is a printed cheque with a french company's title(she is from New York and the bank is Paris du Nord, a french bank.)

I realized that I wasted a month to wait for her "work", and she is a fraud, so I did not contact her anymore. but after 2 weeks, another cheque with same amount arrived to my bank, I did the same. and sent her one email to say that I could not receive cheque, but cash deposit or TT, from then there is no news from her.

That is just a pity that I chose to trust her to wait and worried about the delay of translation, but in the end, she is still turnout to be a fraud...

[Edited at 2019-10-22 10:40 GMT]
Collapse

Laurent Mercky
Laurent Mercky
France
Local time: 08:17
Chinese to French
+ ...
really ? Oct 22, 2019

Félicitations, vous avez failli être victime de la fameuse arnaque au chèque en bois.
C'est un FAUX chèque. Qui ne sera JAMAIS crédité par cette personne, par-contre elle vous demandera de lui redonner ce montant sur son compte….alors qu'en fait elle n'a jamais eu l'intention de vous le donner.
Conseil: allez à la banque et déclarez ce chèque comme un FAUX.

Et non, il n'y a pas de document qui vous attendrait LOL

[Edited at 2019-10-22 13:30 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth
Achin
Hedwig Spitzer (X)

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:17
Danish to English
+ ...
Report it to the police Oct 22, 2019

Since you have the counterfeit cheques, you can report it to the police. They may not want to or be able to do anything, but the more such reports they receive, the higher the chance that this sort of scam will be investigated.

Hopefully you didn't waste any time translating this or declining other work.

Achin
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Yolanda Broad

Achin
Achin  Identity Verified
China
German to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merci Laurent Oct 22, 2019

Merci Laurent, voila le nom que je cherchais, "chèque en bois"

Laurent Mercky wrote:

Félicitations, vous avez failli être victime de la fameuse arnaque au chèque en bois.
C'est un FAUX chèque. Qui ne sera JAMAIS crédité par cette personne, par-contre elle vous demandera de lui redonner ce montant sur son compte….alors qu'en fait elle n'a jamais eu l'intention de vous le donner.
Conseil: allez à la banque et déclarez ce chèque comme un FAUX.

Et non, il n'y a pas de document qui vous attendrait LOL

[Edited at 2019-10-22 13:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-10-22 14:02 GMT]

Laurent Mercky

Achin
Achin  Identity Verified
China
German to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Thomas! Oct 22, 2019

surely will do that~ in the end the document is quite interesting & I would pay to read it:)

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Since you have the counterfeit cheques, you can report it to the police. They may not want to or be able to do anything, but the more such reports they receive, the higher the chance that this sort of scam will be investigated.

Hopefully you didn't waste any time translating this or declining other work.

[Edited at 2019-10-22 14:01 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

share my experience of scam

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »