François Sechier
François Sechier
France
Local time: 08:03
English to French
+ ...
Nov 22, 2018

Hello to all!

A few days ago, I received an e-mail from a person named Anne Thirlwall, using this e-mail adress: [email protected].

She asked me if I could translate a document from English to French, and sent me a Word file that is actually "The Prince" by Machiavelli. Pretty funny, right? The other interesting thing was that the Machiavelli name had been changed throughout the foreword of the book, pro
... See more
Hello to all!

A few days ago, I received an e-mail from a person named Anne Thirlwall, using this e-mail adress: [email protected].

She asked me if I could translate a document from English to French, and sent me a Word file that is actually "The Prince" by Machiavelli. Pretty funny, right? The other interesting thing was that the Machiavelli name had been changed throughout the foreword of the book, probably in order not to raise suspicion... which was raised anyway after skimming through the document. Needless to say, dear "Anne" wanted my bank details and insisted, the noble soul, to pay me 50% upfront. For those who don't know, this is the beginning of the "advance money" scam that is well-documented on this forum.

When I confronted her, she stopped replying. Beware of this person!
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Kelly Lebel
Tom in London
Ashiqur Nishat
Liliya Bormotova

Paweł Hamerski (X)
Paweł Hamerski (X)
English to Polish
+ ...
Something else is rather funny Nov 22, 2018

'The Prince' is already translated into several languages.
My answer to scammers in similar cases would be: 'It is already translated into this language so why do you need it?' -regardless of the fact if it is really so or not.

Ashiqur Nishat

François Sechier
François Sechier
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What I told her! Nov 22, 2018

Paweł Hamerski wrote:

'The Prince' is already translated into several languages.
My answer to scammers in similar cases would be: 'It is already translated into this language so why do you need it?' -regardless of the fact if it is really so or not.

That's exactly what I told her! I've got a version at home, it's a very cheap 2-euro book. Plus, you can find it for free on the Internet.

Ashiqur Nishat

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
gmail addresses Nov 22, 2018

I generally assume that anything from a gmail address is likely to be a scam and treat it with more suspicion than I would something from a traceable/paid-for email address.

Ashiqur Nishat
Matthias Brombach

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:03
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Kindle version is free Nov 22, 2018

You could have sent her the Kindle version. But what is this scam you mentioned?

Ashiqur Nishat

François Sechier
François Sechier
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You can find it on this page Nov 22, 2018

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

You could have sent her the Kindle version. But what is this scam you mentioned?

You can find it on this page: https://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts#advance_payment_overpayment_scam

It's the "Advance payment / overpayment scam" section.

Ashiqur Nishat
Yolanda Broad
Laetitia Maarek

Adelaide Leroux
Adelaide Leroux  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Me too! Dec 9, 2018

Hi,

I got contacted by this person too at around the same period and despite being a bit suspectful at times, it went to the point that she sent me a "false" cheque - that my bank refused - in exchange for some money back...
A good reminder for not taking so-called jobs from anyone and to be aware that there are scammers everywhere!

François LASSERRE DU ROZEL
François LASSERRE DU ROZEL
France
Member (2017)
English to French
+ ...
Me too! Dec 17, 2018

I have received the scam email.

Liliya Bormotova
Liliya Bormotova
United States
Local time: 02:03
English to Russian
+ ...
I got the same text! Jan 23, 2019

I got the same text! I was asked to do translation into Russian! Then they just disappeared!

Nicolas Schulz
Nicolas Schulz
France
German to English
+ ...
Got the same text but from a Marie Joe. Jan 29, 2019

Thanks for letting me know.

Joanna Wright

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam alert - File to be translated is "The Prince" by Machiavelli

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »