Why is "humanitarian cause" not an option to choose in Field of expertise?
Thread poster: Stephanie Schimkowitsch (X)
Stephanie Schimkowitsch (X)
Stephanie Schimkowitsch (X)  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 19:22
German to English
+ ...
Mar 22, 2019

Hello,

Sorry if this question has been asked before. If so, a link to the discussion would be appreciated.

As many of us collaborate with Translators Without Borders, who work exclusively in the Humanitarian field, would it not be great if we could highlight our expertise in this area on our ProZ-profiles?

Often translators are asked to sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement), which makes it rather hard to create a meaningful portfolio. However, as part of t
... See more
Hello,

Sorry if this question has been asked before. If so, a link to the discussion would be appreciated.

As many of us collaborate with Translators Without Borders, who work exclusively in the Humanitarian field, would it not be great if we could highlight our expertise in this area on our ProZ-profiles?

Often translators are asked to sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement), which makes it rather hard to create a meaningful portfolio. However, as part of the pro-bono work, we are free to comment on what TWB-projects we have collaborated on, for example on our profiles, websites etc.

As I have now accumulated quite substantial experience in this field, I would embrace the idea to also generate contact with paying clients in this sector. However, it does not fall under any of the pre-set categories I can select in the drop-down menu. Is there any chance the programmers could please add such a field?

Alternatively, I guess I could add the term to the SEO at the bottom of the profile page, but I don't find this solution ideal.

Thank you,
Stephanie
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:22
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
"humanitarian cause" is not a subject field Mar 22, 2019

Stephanie Schimkowitsch wrote:
However, it does not fall under any of the pre-set categories I can select in the drop-down menu.

The list you refer to, I assume, is the list of subject fields. Humanitarian cause is not a subject field. It is a business sector. I understand that sectors are sometimes referred to as "fields" in the field, but that list lists subject fields.

If you translate something about ebola, for example, for Translators without Borders, then the "field" is "medical", not "humanitarian cause". Humanitarian cause is the sector.

[Edited at 2019-03-22 06:45 GMT]

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Daryo

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 12:22
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Basically, humanitarian work is the same as lots of other work Mar 22, 2019

Forget the fact that it is pro-bono or how it is funded (unless you actually have a text about fund-raising).

Humanitarian organisations provide food, clothing and other necessities for victims of disasters:
Logistics, nutrition, emergency medicine.

A little later on, NGOs help people rebuild their lives: education, health care, water supplies, building, agriculture…

You can fit the texts you translate into the appropriate fields of expertise, and i
... See more
Forget the fact that it is pro-bono or how it is funded (unless you actually have a text about fund-raising).

Humanitarian organisations provide food, clothing and other necessities for victims of disasters:
Logistics, nutrition, emergency medicine.

A little later on, NGOs help people rebuild their lives: education, health care, water supplies, building, agriculture…

You can fit the texts you translate into the appropriate fields of expertise, and it will really be far more useful to potential clients that a catch-all humanitarian category.
Collapse

Jessica Noyes
DZiW (X)

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
International Org / Dev/ Coop Mar 22, 2019

Although I agree with the previous posters, "International Org / Dev/ Coop" might work in certain situations.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Hummy-what? It's biz--with you or on you! Mar 22, 2019

I agree with Christine: if one can't see the biz (money) behind funny words, he should really get educated--or change the "specialization".

As for so-called NGOs, at least in ex-USSR they are but "offshore" anti-governmental grant-eaters, alas. Yet back to the 'humanity':
If a white-collar (without explicit violence) fraud stole $1'000'000, how much he should donate to charity, so it would humanly make him a philanthropist?
Shortly, "humanitarian" is no good substitute to "at the expense of somebody else".

[Edited at 2019-03-24 10:22 GMT]

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Daryo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why is "humanitarian cause" not an option to choose in Field of expertise?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »