John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:42
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Mar 16, 2018

Post-editing RIP

Post-editing has been a familiar activity for decades in the industry. Peter Reynolds, Kilgray Owner and Board Member, believes the time may have come for the post-editing model to retire.

When Machine Translation (MT) started becoming more widely used, many predicted that it would use a model which saw the entire text being translated and then this would be post-edited to correct and improve the translated text. Since then many translators have used MT systems within CAT tools where they see the MT translation of one segment at a time.

We have also seen new MT tools such as Lilt which expects a translator to be using MT to translate one segment at a time. 2017 has seen the widespread use of neural machine translation systems. One issue with these systems, which poses a difficulty for the post-editing model, is the fact the translated text may look correct but could be wrong. Unless the translator sees the source text they will not know this.

This would suggest that the post-editing model will be used less and less.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
MT output as only source for PEMT? Mar 16, 2018

Hello, John,

One thing strikes me about the statement you’ve shared: The idea that a post-editing model can be based on a post-editor not seeing the original source text, only the MT output.

From my understanding, this is NOT what post-editing is about, at least not in its current state (and I hope never in the future).

I copy an excerpt I've kept from the TAUS Post-editing course: "While translation and editing usually involve the processing of a sin
... See more
Hello, John,

One thing strikes me about the statement you’ve shared: The idea that a post-editing model can be based on a post-editor not seeing the original source text, only the MT output.

From my understanding, this is NOT what post-editing is about, at least not in its current state (and I hope never in the future).

I copy an excerpt I've kept from the TAUS Post-editing course: "While translation and editing usually involve the processing of a single source text, in post-editing, raw machine-translation output is regarded as another source text to be processed in addition to the original text authored in the source language." So, in post-editing, you are supposed to work on two source texts.

This alone makes me doubtful about Kilgray’s assessment and prevision.

Questioning this, however, does not make me a post-editing proponent. Quite the contrary.

I’m betting on something else entirely.

But this confusion about what post-editing actually is, even coming from an "industry leader,” reminds me there is at least as much confusion about translation.

In this forum, some seem to act with a clear vision of that. And I find it reassuring.

Jean
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Wishful thinking: Fudging/PEMT vs Expressing ideas/Translation Mar 16, 2018

Shortly, I won't buy it.

1) Who is talking--a businessman of the CAT industry, where they still proudly make loud yet hollow promises "work less, get more!", yes?

2) What are the solid arguments, none?

3) PEMT is but a trick to make CAT-ish (aka "never-be-paid-for-translating-the-same-again") prices even lower; why they would drop such a profitable ploy--for a laugh?

4) Some translators are eager to make almost random words fit so
... See more
Shortly, I won't buy it.

1) Who is talking--a businessman of the CAT industry, where they still proudly make loud yet hollow promises "work less, get more!", yes?

2) What are the solid arguments, none?

3) PEMT is but a trick to make CAT-ish (aka "never-be-paid-for-translating-the-same-again") prices even lower; why they would drop such a profitable ploy--for a laugh?

4) Some translators are eager to make almost random words fit some meaning, which is easier than translating, why?

5) The signal-to-noise--Oops!--translation-to-PEMT offers ratio proves the contrary at the moment, so?

Rather there will appear a new scheme or mutations...

[Edited at 2018-03-18 09:42 GMT]
Collapse

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 12:42
English to Polish
+ ...
A much more reliable use of MT Mar 16, 2018

In my opinion, PEMT will decline, and I really hope MT will be used in a much more intelligent way than simply translating the whole text and then post-editing it.

This trend can be seen in CAT tools like Trados Studio and DejaVu, where only MT chunks are fed to the translator via Autosuggest (Trados) and Autowrite (DejaVu), along with chunks/words from other resources (termbases, autosuggest dictionaries, Lexicon, Regex, translation memories). This, in my opinion, is the future of
... See more
In my opinion, PEMT will decline, and I really hope MT will be used in a much more intelligent way than simply translating the whole text and then post-editing it.

This trend can be seen in CAT tools like Trados Studio and DejaVu, where only MT chunks are fed to the translator via Autosuggest (Trados) and Autowrite (DejaVu), along with chunks/words from other resources (termbases, autosuggest dictionaries, Lexicon, Regex, translation memories). This, in my opinion, is the future of CAT tools. Hard to believe that Kilgray still can't see it and their Predictive Typing is light years behind what SDL and Atril offer.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Kilgray thinks the use of Post-Editing will decline

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »