Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Have you ever picked up a new hobby or interest because of something you translated?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mark Possemiers
Mark Possemiers  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:44
Member (2013)
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
what happened before the big bang Jul 7, 2019

[quote]Robert Rietvelt wrote:

So once in a while you get a 'super job', a job you enjoy so much, that you actually don't want to stop translating. In my case it was 120k translation about evolution. From big bang, via dinosaur, religion, art, Darwin, and you name it, till who or what we are now, in short, everything.

To do the job, I came in contact with a lot of different views, which were so interesting, that I really immersed myself into it, still do. Everything is evolution, too bad there are hardly translation jobs about this subject.

Kind of changed my life. By now I feel myself as an amateur 'scholar' in this field (and still so much to learn).

By the way, still don't know what happened before the big bang. So who does, please let me know.

Boris got suspended on a cable and there and then decided to go for Brexit ...

P.L.F. Persio

Richard Purdom
Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:44
Dutch to English
+ ...
out of time Jul 7, 2019

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

By the way, still don't know what happened before the big bang. So who does, please let me know.

There was no time before the big bang, so the question is meaningless. We can't visualize time from our 3D perception, except in terms of memory and as a basis for predicting the future universe (the bus will arive in 5 mins), but in a 4D world all possible universes may simultaneously exist of all possible times, and our experience of time is from this perspective merely our 3D universe moving through a set of these possible universes. All universes are possible and co-exist - like an infinite number of 2D 'slices' with zero thicknesses could exist on top of each other, which we can conceive as possible - including the one where I translate your book

Alternatively, you could try extrapolating entropy in reverse, but the maths is a bit difficult.

Hope that clears everything up!

Edith van der Have
P.L.F. Persio

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:44
Romanian to English
+ ...
Yes, law Jul 9, 2019

Yes, I definitely want to go to law school at some point.

simraannoor2
simraannoor2
United States
Rap and Hip Hop Sep 24, 2020

I had a chance to work as an ASL interpretor in a Juice Wrld concert. He was a great rapper but unfortunately he left us too early. I got an interest of listening rap songs after him and more precisely I started to gather fan arts, posters and merchandises of different rappers like Mac Miller, Snoop dog and Eminem etc. I translated his songs like Lucid Dreams and Wrld on drugs in the concert.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Next poll question suggestion: Sep 25, 2020

Have you ever got laid by telling someone you were a translator?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
IrinaN

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
My explanation Sep 25, 2020

Mark Possemiers wrote:

.... still don't know what happened before the big bang. So who does, please let me know.

"The Big Bang theory : First there was nothing, and then it blew up"
- with thanks to clikka, on Undernet Newsgarden 11/11/2006

P.L.F. Persio

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Next poll question suggestion Sep 25, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Have you ever gone off something because of some text you translated? Yes, I have.

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes Sep 25, 2020

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever picked up a new hobby or interest because of something you translated?".

View the poll results »

Yes- many things. Lately, because of a long PhD thesis I translated, I have become even more interested than I already was in the so-called "informal settlements" (favelas etc.) in various countries from Nigeria to India but mainly in Brazil. This is an enormous subject that never ceases to interest me.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Asking Sep 25, 2020

Josephine Cassar wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Have you ever gone off something because of some text you translated? Yes, I have.

Am I in the habit of asking myself questions and then answering them?
You bet!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Never happened Sep 25, 2020

Richard Purdom wrote:

There was no time before the big bang, so the question is meaningless.

Correct. There was no Big Bang. The problem lies in the tendency of the unthinking human brain to assume that everything has a beginning and an end. This mental attitude has not been helped by the Christian idea that "God created the world". The reality - which is staring us in the face every morning - is that God (or whatever you want to call it) creates and destroys everything, all the time; always has and always will. There was no beginning and there will not be an end. The astronomers are still beavering away at their "Big Bang" idea because it's an excellent way of securing research funding. They have simply assumed - without any logical justification - that because the universe seems to be expanding, it must have started expanding at some fixed point -some event. That just doesn't make sense. I'm still waiting for them to work out that at some unpredictable time the universe might begin contracting again. But I'm not, er, holding my breath, if you see what I mean.

[Edited at 2020-09-25 10:24 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Maybe it's too much information but.. Sep 25, 2020

I got pregnant with my daughter, as a result, 30 years ago in Moscow. Apparently, it's the kind of profession that can get somebody's motor running...

Tom in London wrote:

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Tom in London

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Motors running Sep 25, 2020

Of course it can, so well done, P.L.F.! People who can use tongues properly have always been in great demand. Vroom-vroom!

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Tom in London

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
An "old" interest Sep 25, 2020

I have been translating serial killer (not “cereal killer”!) documentaries for a good client who contacted me at the beginning of this year.
Sometimes, I am imagining myself working as a detective or criminal profiler, but this is just a recent dream not an interest or hobby.
As a professional translator I believe my "old" interest is learning about different cultures and languages.
I am a Linguistic Anthropology enthusiast.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Frank Wong
Frank Wong  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:44
Chinese to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 27, 2020

Read manuals. It is technically not a hobby or interest. After numerous manuals I have translated, I did pick up the good practice to go through them after I have bought something or before I use something new to me, either it's a common home appliance or more sophisticated gadget. Instead, before that, I would prefer to use a try and error strategy, and only turn to manuals when I couldn't figure it out.

[Edited at 2020-09-27 03:19 GMT]

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Yes and no .... Sep 29, 2020

I didn't start any new hobby, but what I learned while translating a pretty wide variety of texts made me pay attention to things that I would have not noticed at all otherwise.

So there was some kind of influence.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever picked up a new hobby or interest because of something you translated?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »