Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:42
Danish to English
+ ...
SS Nov 13, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

I read somewhere you call affectionately your mother: "SS".
I'm "SS"... no, not the Schutzstaffel (SS) that we know.

Some years ago a storm blew down a fence here, so I needed to call my German insurance to ask if it was covered. I was wondering if I should ask for the Sturmabteilung. A friend suggested that if they refused to pay, I could always ask to speak to the Obersturmführer or Sturmbannführer.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Joe France
Sarah Maidstone

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:42
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Today almost possible again Nov 13, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I was wondering if I should ask for the Sturmabteilung. A friend suggested that if they refused to pay, I could always ask to speak to the Obersturmführer or Sturmbannführer.

Your friend had much fun in suggesting that, did he? I understand that you are living in the east of Germany, right?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
East Nov 13, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I was wondering if I should ask for the Sturmabteilung. A friend suggested that if they refused to pay, I could always ask to speak to the Obersturmführer or Sturmbannführer.

Your friend had much fun in suggesting that, did he? I understand that you are living in the east of Germany, right?

Yes, I live in the former GDR. It was a Danish friend who suggested it. All in good humour, of course, just like a comedy such as 'Allo 'Allo. No sort of ill feelings intended.

Matthias Brombach
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I can't even pronounce these words Nov 13, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

Some years ago a storm blew down a fence here, so I needed to call my German insurance to ask if it was covered. I was wondering if I should ask for the Sturmabteilung. A friend suggested that if they refused to pay, I could always ask to speak to the Obersturmführer or Sturmbannführer.

Nice pun, if I have understood correctly.
Did the "Chefe de Assalto" and those "Tropas de Assalto" solve the problem?
I can't even pronounce these words!

P.S.: I hope I hadn't been fooled by online dictionaries.

[Edited at 2020-11-13 15:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-13 15:34 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Possible Nov 13, 2020

Recently I've been thinking what Matthias is thinking, in this country at least. I'm not sure whether it's a 50% divide or not here, but I know what happened the last time there was a 50% divide in Spain. And I can think of another very large country way west of here across the Atlantic with the same problem. Hopefully we can gently laugh our frivolous way out of that kind of thing.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Storm Nov 13, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

Nice pun, if I have understood correctly.
Did the "Chefe de Assalto" and those "Tropas de Assalto" solve the problem?
I can't even pronounce these words!

P.S.: I hope I hadn't been fooled by online dictionaries.

Sturm can mean 'storm' or 'assault', and Abteilung can mean 'department' or (military) 'division'. The words I mentioned were used during the war (for which I don't blame any living persons, let that be clear), but it so happens that if you want to call a 'storm department' at an insurance company, you end up with the same word.

[Edited at 2020-11-13 23:14 GMT]

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Understood Nov 13, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
No sort of ill feelings intended.

Understood and it wouldn´t be me, if I did not almost make the same kind of jokes, sometimes and when among people I know they have no ill feelings as well.

[Bearbeitet am 2020-11-13 17:21 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Stuck in the middle with you Nov 14, 2020

See more
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexledsom/2020/11/10/french-couple-locked-down-with-huge-rare-spider-struggling-to-remove-it/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=thememo&cdlcid=5dbc49a796566e58de186007&sh=434256ce2f70

The Spanish (or Gibraltar) funnel-web spider is about 8-10 cm long and is now resident with a couple in lockdown in the town of Grillon in Provence, the south of France.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Spiders in the works Nov 14, 2020

Nobody can kill it, and nobody can move it. But the pest control company can, presumably. Why's that?

I know what I'd have done. I'd have trapped it in a box, taken it out to the middle of nowhere, to Spiderland, and released it. The last thing I would have done would be go to the authorities and say Oh, oh, what should we do about this spider?

In fact, if I were them, I'd still do that. I can't see the French Department of Arachnid Protection coming round every so oft
... See more
Nobody can kill it, and nobody can move it. But the pest control company can, presumably. Why's that?

I know what I'd have done. I'd have trapped it in a box, taken it out to the middle of nowhere, to Spiderland, and released it. The last thing I would have done would be go to the authorities and say Oh, oh, what should we do about this spider?

In fact, if I were them, I'd still do that. I can't see the French Department of Arachnid Protection coming round every so often just to check it's still there. And if they do, well, you just say, "Oh, it must have gone out the door when I was stocking up at E. Leclerc this morning. And, of course, since I'm not allowed to move it or even touch it, presumably, there was nothing I could do. And spiders do that, you know. They walk around. They walk around a lot. It's all those legs."

[Edited at 2020-11-14 11:02 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Christel Zipfel
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach

Bruno Pavesi
Bruno Pavesi  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:42
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
This drives me insane Nov 14, 2020

Felipe Lacerda wrote:

download

This absolutely kills me, especially in Portuguese. It drives me crazy how a language with so much poetic potential can sometimes be employed in manners as exciting as waiting in long lines.

Christopher Schröder

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Clearly a job for ... Nov 15, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

I'd have trapped it in a box, taken it out to the middle of nowhere, to Spiderland, and released it.

... Spiderman! Forget about Batman. He and his bat-winged relatives finally have spread the Corona virus from the wild animal market of Wuhan to Gotham and beyond, so that Batman clearly turned out to be a spy of the Chinese government to rule the world, when the last smartphone has found its last solvent customer in the Western world, to set up the Corona app, which creeps like a spider through the digital world into your homes with all those legs, that you don´t dare to leave house! I really hope they have finally locked down Batman in his home anywhere in suburbia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltMar4lbZkk

[Bearbeitet am 2020-11-15 12:01 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
That "Batman"... Nov 16, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

... Spiderman! Forget about Batman. He and his bat-winged relatives finally have spread the Corona virus from the wild animal market of Wuhan to Gotham and beyond, so that Batman clearly turned out to be a spy of the Chinese government to rule the world, when the last smartphone has found its last solvent customer in the Western world, to set up the Corona app, which creeps like a spider through the digital world into your homes with all those legs, that you don´t dare to leave house! I really hope they have finally locked down Batman in his home anywhere in suburbia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltMar4lbZkk

[Bearbeitet am 2020-11-15 12:01 GMT]

21750970_zT4Rq

... could do himself a favour and stay at home, and lead by example.

Matthias Brombach
Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Felipe Lacerda
Felipe Lacerda  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:42
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A tough question. Nov 17, 2020

Coffee, the Beatles and true love - sometimes I wonder what's the most overrated thing in life.

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Ooh, controversial! 😀 Nov 17, 2020

Felipe Lacerda wrote:

Coffee, the Beatles and true love - sometimes I wonder what's the most overrated thing in life.

It’s either ProZ membership or sex. I just can’t decide which is the bigger waste of money🤷‍♂️😂

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
writeaway
Felipe Lacerda

Zibow Retailleau
Zibow Retailleau  Identity Verified
Mauritius
Local time: 14:42
English to Chinese
+ ...
Parenthood Nov 17, 2020

Felipe Lacerda wrote:

That's what I say when someone laments the fact that they will never have children or keeps badgering me to have some.[Edited at 2020-11-17 16:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-17 16:24 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Felipe Lacerda

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »