Thread poster: Beatrice Schlegel, B.A.(hons.), M.A, MCIL
Beatrice Schlegel, B.A.(hons.), M.A, MCIL
Local time: 05:11
German to English
+ ...
Sep 28, 2020

Dear all,

I recently had an email from a long-term client, an agency, offering me 1/3 of my base price for doing PEMT / MTPE. this figure seems rather low to me given that human translation editing usually is half of the base price? What do you all think of that?

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:11
Member (2016)
English to German
... Sep 28, 2020

I think it's a ridiculous, offensive offer, and a clear hint that the agency is to be avoided.

Sheila Wilson
Thayenga

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Standard (fixed) price and timely based price in comparison Sep 29, 2020

I try to answer those requests in a constructive way: by offering my standard price per word (= fixed price) and in parallels a possible end price based on my price per hour. End price shall be whatever price model comes out cheaper finally after the translation has been completed. If PEMT delivers for the specific job quicker results than a fixed price (provided, the same level of quality will and can be maintained), your client would have won the deal. Most of the PMs claim to be experienced t... See more
I try to answer those requests in a constructive way: by offering my standard price per word (= fixed price) and in parallels a possible end price based on my price per hour. End price shall be whatever price model comes out cheaper finally after the translation has been completed. If PEMT delivers for the specific job quicker results than a fixed price (provided, the same level of quality will and can be maintained), your client would have won the deal. Most of the PMs claim to be experienced translators by themselves and therefore they should fully understand and support this pricing model. And at least you have answered these requests in a rather constructive way than being too straightforward refusing or showing a negative attitude.Collapse

Jorge Payan

Local time: 05:11
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Sep 29, 2020

Thanks to all those who replied and agreed so quickly-your opinion is very much valued! Have a great day all.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
MTPE Sep 29, 2020

IF accepting this type of work at all (seldom, if ever), I always quote my hourly rate.

If you accept a per word rate - let alone 1/3 of your usual per word rate -. you might end up working solely for the benefit of your customer, in a worst case scenario spending several unpaid hours in an attempt to fix what the machine had produced.

I agree with Jan, such a request only signals how little your customer appreciates and values your work. IF you can afford it, do the so
... See more
IF accepting this type of work at all (seldom, if ever), I always quote my hourly rate.

If you accept a per word rate - let alone 1/3 of your usual per word rate -. you might end up working solely for the benefit of your customer, in a worst case scenario spending several unpaid hours in an attempt to fix what the machine had produced.

I agree with Jan, such a request only signals how little your customer appreciates and values your work. IF you can afford it, do the so-called Indian Walk, that is, walk away and never look back once.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PEMT / MTPE ENGER

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »