Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is there any way to avoid charging VAT on an invoice to a client in UK not registered for EU VAT?
Thread poster: Eleanor Staniforth
Eleanor Staniforth
Eleanor Staniforth  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:23
French to English
+ ...
Dec 17, 2018

Hi all,

I am registered as self-employed in Spain and am also on the VIES. I need to invoice a client who is self-employed in the UK but who is not on the VIES as the threshold for VAT registration in the UK is quite high (there is no such threshold in Spain). As far as I understand, Spanish tax law (and possibly that of other European countries) states that if either the client or translator do not have an EU VAT number, then VAT must be charged. My client says that as a sole trade
... See more
Hi all,

I am registered as self-employed in Spain and am also on the VIES. I need to invoice a client who is self-employed in the UK but who is not on the VIES as the threshold for VAT registration in the UK is quite high (there is no such threshold in Spain). As far as I understand, Spanish tax law (and possibly that of other European countries) states that if either the client or translator do not have an EU VAT number, then VAT must be charged. My client says that as a sole trader, she shouldn't be required to pay VAT. Does anyone have any experience with invoicing clients in the UK who are not VAT registered (from Europe)? Or can any freelance translators located in the UK who outsource work to translators elsewhere in Europe cast some light on this?

Thanks in advance!
Eleanor
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Dec 17, 2018

Yes she has to pay VAT.

Being a sole trader has no bearing on whether you pay VAT.

Tom in London
Thomas Pfann
Sheila Wilson
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:23
Danish to English
+ ...
UK VAT number Dec 17, 2018

As far as I know, the self-employed person in the UK would have to request a VAT number for such purposes even if they don't have to charge VAT.

I have to report VAT numbers and amounts annually to the German tax authorities for all reverse-VAT billing in the EU, and I have to verify all such VAT numbers in the VIES system and request a printed confirmation (they still use paper in Germany). If I could not justify any VAT number for such a client, I would just end up having to pay t
... See more
As far as I know, the self-employed person in the UK would have to request a VAT number for such purposes even if they don't have to charge VAT.

I have to report VAT numbers and amounts annually to the German tax authorities for all reverse-VAT billing in the EU, and I have to verify all such VAT numbers in the VIES system and request a printed confirmation (they still use paper in Germany). If I could not justify any VAT number for such a client, I would just end up having to pay the German VAT myself.

The instructions from my accountant is that if a business in another EU Member State cannot provide a VAT number, I have to add German VAT.

My impression is that the Spanish authorities are no less strict.

What I don't understand is that when such self-employed persons decide not to register for VAT, they know very well, or should know, that they cannot get any VAT back paid on expenses, so why do some of them expect VAT-free services from other Member States? They have to pay UK VAT on everything they buy in the UK. It's as if they want to have their cake and eat it.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Christopher Schröder
Niina Lahokoski

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Chris is correct Dec 17, 2018

Chris S wrote:

Yes she has to pay VAT.

Being a sole trader has no bearing on whether you pay VAT.

Chris is right. I am a sole trader in the UK and I am not registered for VAT.

When I buy anything - a material good or a service - I have to pay the VAT on it and I can't claim it back. That's the down side of not being VAT-registered.

So, Eleanor, your client in the UK has to pay the VAT. If she doesn't understand that she shouldn't be running a business !

End of story.

[Edited at 2018-12-17 20:13 GMT]

Thomas Pfann
Sheila Wilson
Christopher Schröder
Ester Vidal

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Eleanor Dec 17, 2018

The only way I see to avoid charging VAT to a client in the UK is to wait patiently for the Brexit mess to be over…

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Lol but... Dec 17, 2018

Teresa Borges wrote:

The only way I see to avoid charging VAT to a client in the UK is to wait patiently for the Brexit mess to be over…

Edited to remove incorrect advice

[Edited at 2018-12-18 09:37 GMT]

Tom in London

Eleanor Staniforth
Spain
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed! Dec 17, 2018

Teresa Borges wrote:

Yes, I thought the same thing! It would be the only advantage of the whole mess, that it would make invoicing simpler...

Eleanor Staniforth
Spain
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not in Spain Dec 17, 2018

Chris S wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

You’ll still have to charge her VAT even then. Whether or not she’s in the EU is neither here nor there.

In Spain we don't have to charge VAT to any clients outside the EU, whether they're private individuals or companies. Is this not the same elsewhere?

Thomas T. Frost
Christopher Schröder

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
No VAT for third countries Dec 17, 2018

Chris S wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

You’ll still have to charge her VAT even then. Whether or not she’s in the EU is neither here nor there.

No, you're wrong there. VAT is only due if the client is based in the EU's VAT area. Anybody outside, whether an individual or a company, does not pay VAT.

Christopher Schröder

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Eleanor, Thomas and Eleanor Dec 17, 2018

Eleanor Staniforth wrote:
In Spain we don't have to charge VAT to any clients outside the EU, whether they're private individuals or companies. Is this not the same elsewhere?

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
VAT is only due if the client is based in the EU's VAT area. Anybody outside, whether an individual or a company, does not pay VAT.

It's different in the Netherlands, at least. As a Dutch tax resident, 1) I have to charge VAT to (a) any non-business outside the EU, (b) any business or non-business inside the EU who is not registered for VAT, and (c) any business or individual in the Netherlands, regardless of whether they are registered for VAT; 2) I don't charge VAT to businesses outside the EU; and 3) I "shift" VAT to businesses or individuals within the EU (but outside the Netherlands) who are registered for VAT. This means that 1) currently, I charge VAT to businesses and individuals in the UK who are not registered for VAT, and I "shift" VAT for businesses and individuals in the UK who are registered for VAT; but 2) after Brexit, I would charge no VAT to businesses in the UK (regardless of whether they're registered for VAT in the UK), and I would charge VAT to individuals in the UK.

Eleanor Staniforth wrote:
My client says that as a sole trader, she shouldn't be required to pay VAT.

I agree with the other repliers here: she has to pay VAT. However, if you're really really keen on keeping this client happy, you could choose to absorb the VAT yourself, by reducing the invoice amount and adding fake VAT to it, so that the grand total is the original total. In other words, if the quoted amount is €1000, then instead of charging €1000 + €210 (i.e. 21% VAT), you can choose to charge €826.45 + €173.55 (i.e. 21% VAT). However, as you can see, this quickly gets expensive with higher amounts.

It is also good practice to mention the "VAT inclusive" final amount in any estimate or quotation for anyone who would have to pay VAT, because the VAT could come as a surprise to people who are not used to paying VAT extra.

[Edited at 2018-12-17 22:10 GMT]

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
@Eleanor Dec 17, 2018

Silly question from the back of the class here. I suppose you are asking this question because you are VAT registered. Is that the case? (In France, even when we are not registered for VAT, we can still get a VIES intracommunity VAT number). The perhaps not so silly point I wish to make is that if you are not registered for VAT then you won't charge it anyway.
Sorry to sound silly but the question has been asked before by someone who was not registered for VAT....
See more
Silly question from the back of the class here. I suppose you are asking this question because you are VAT registered. Is that the case? (In France, even when we are not registered for VAT, we can still get a VIES intracommunity VAT number). The perhaps not so silly point I wish to make is that if you are not registered for VAT then you won't charge it anyway.
Sorry to sound silly but the question has been asked before by someone who was not registered for VAT.
Collapse

Eleanor Staniforth
Spain
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes! Dec 17, 2018

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

Sorry to sound silly but the question has been asked before by someone who was not registered for VAT.

Yes, I am registered. Unfortunately in Spain you're registered automatically to collect VAT as soon as you register as self-employed, regardless of income or any other considerations. It makes things rather complicated with tons of different declarations on sometimes piddling amounts. The thing which is optional is registering on the VIES, although obviously this is necessary if you have to collect VAT...

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Netherlands Dec 17, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

It's different in the Netherlands, at least. As a Dutch tax resident, 1) I have to charge VAT to (a) any non-business outside the EU

I believe you've said this before. According to what I'd previously found, there is general agreement in tax circles in the EU that translation falls in the category of 'intellectual' services for which the place of supply is where the buyer is based and that no VAT is therefore due if the buyer is based in a third country.

As the EU's VAT Directive is common for all of the EU, my best assessment is that the Netherlands is infringing the EU's VAT Directive on this point, but someone would have to take the Netherlands to court to get it changed.

VAT is a tax on consumers in the EU. Hence, it makes no sense to charge VAT to anyone outside the EU. But some countries just can't collect enough tax, and I'm not just referring to the Netherlands.

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Your client's confusion... Dec 18, 2018

...comes from the fact that the VAT threshold in the UK is extremely high. She doesn't have to register for VAT in the UK until her business's annual turnover reaches something like £85,000. Which means that unless she registers voluntarily, she can't charge VAT to her customers no matter where they are located.

But she still has to pay VAT, as far as I'm aware, on goods and services she buys from other EU states.

And unfortunately for her, I don't think there is a mec
... See more
...comes from the fact that the VAT threshold in the UK is extremely high. She doesn't have to register for VAT in the UK until her business's annual turnover reaches something like £85,000. Which means that unless she registers voluntarily, she can't charge VAT to her customers no matter where they are located.

But she still has to pay VAT, as far as I'm aware, on goods and services she buys from other EU states.

And unfortunately for her, I don't think there is a mechanism in the UK for getting a VIES number without just registering for VAT.
Collapse

Tom in London
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Kaspars Melkis
Kaspars Melkis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Latvian
+ ...
this can be complicated Dec 18, 2018

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
VAT is a tax on consumers in the EU. Hence, it makes no sense to charge VAT to anyone outside the EU. But some countries just can't collect enough tax, and I'm not just referring to the Netherlands.

Indeed, but even disregarding the legality of it, I was thinking about the problem of distinguishing business from non-business outside EU. A sole trader is definitely a business (one person business). In some countries one can start working as a self-employed and register later. How would you actually prove that the person is a business?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there any way to avoid charging VAT on an invoice to a client in UK not registered for EU VAT?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »