Thread poster: Pavel Sirotkin
Pavel Sirotkin
Pavel Sirotkin
Germany
Local time: 13:32
Russian to German
+ ...
Apr 13, 2021

I'm on MemoQ 9.7.7. I'd like my term base entry to include an actual asterisk ("Lehrer*in"); however, if I try saving the entry, it automatically gets converted to custom type and the asterisk is thus interpreted as "any symbols". Escaping it ("Lehrer\*in") doesn't work. I can, of course, use something like "@@@" and then replace all the occurrences, but is there any possibility to have an actual asterisk in the term base?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:32
English to Russian
Any other char Apr 13, 2021

There are only 2 specific characters, pipe and asterisk, in memoQ designed for a very useful feature. Why can't you use any other character for your purposes?

Pavel Sirotkin
Pavel Sirotkin
Germany
Russian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately not Apr 13, 2021

Because I have to translate quite a lot of professions, which are rendered into German with a gender star in this case.

[Edited at 2021-04-13 16:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-04-13 16:44 GMT]

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Idea for solution Apr 13, 2021

1. In your source text use the Find and Replace function to replace all asterisks with any special sign, e.g. ^ or & that are "neutral" to MemoQ (meaning: has no effect on the software operation).
2. Translate.
2. Once translated, in your target format (DOC, DOCX, whatever) replace all those special signs with asterisks.

That simple.

HTH

PS. Since asterisk has a meaning to MemoQ, I can't see any way to put words with asterisks into the TB.
<
... See more
1. In your source text use the Find and Replace function to replace all asterisks with any special sign, e.g. ^ or & that are "neutral" to MemoQ (meaning: has no effect on the software operation).
2. Translate.
2. Once translated, in your target format (DOC, DOCX, whatever) replace all those special signs with asterisks.

That simple.

HTH

PS. Since asterisk has a meaning to MemoQ, I can't see any way to put words with asterisks into the TB.

[Zmieniono 2021-04-13 22:16 GMT]
Collapse

Pavel Sirotkin
Pavel Sirotkin
Germany
Russian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Andrzej Apr 14, 2021

Andrzej Mierzejewski wrote:

2. Translate.

Thanks Andrzej, I assume it's the same thing I'm doing now:

use something like "@@@" and then replace all the occurrences

It's a pity there's no other way, but I'll just have to live with it.

PS. By the way, if you enter a term with two asterisks in a row (like "ex**ample") into the TB, MemoQ proposes to treat the asterisks as literal asterisks, rather than special characters. So I assume there's no technical reason not to allow the same for single asterisks, just a question of usability...

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
asterisk im MemoQ help site Apr 14, 2021

https://helpcenter.memoq.com/hc/en-us/search?utf8=✓&query=asterisk

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Term base: special characters

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »