Thread poster: Caroline717
Caroline717
Caroline717
Canada
Local time: 11:32
English to Chinese
+ ...
Dec 2, 2016

我是不是该退出正式会员了?一个半月了,就是申请那些member only的工作,也几乎杳无音信。我想要回剩下的会员费,做个普通会员算了。谢谢!

lingoexpert

Caroline717
Caroline717
Canada
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
已经不是正式会员了 Dec 5, 2016

我已经不是正式会员了, 不会天天盯着member only 的工作了。

coolfool
coolfool
China
Local time: 02:32
Chinese to English
Breaking loose Dec 8, 2016

Kudos to you for breaking loose from the bitter sea.

Caroline717
Caroline717
Canada
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
每天早晨第一件事 Dec 8, 2016

coolfool wrote:

Kudos to you for breaking loose from the bitter sea.

之前每天早晨第一件事就是查看member only的张贴, 然后发简历。试译了几次400字(我已知道这种骗局),还是没结果。的确苦。

Linda Li
Linda Li
United States
Local time: 13:32
English to Chinese
还是有好处的 Dec 8, 2016

成为proz的会员还是有好处的。举个例子:你可以查看译员对一些翻译公司的评价,帮你预防一些骗子公司;同时翻译公司也可以对你评价,帮助你寻找其他客户。

Min Fang

coolfool
coolfool
China
Chinese to English
God bless you all Dec 9, 2016

The benevolent witnesses benevolence and the wise spots wisdom.

Still in your element albeit tasting bitter.

Caroline717
Caroline717
Canada
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
有哲理! Dec 9, 2016

coolfool wrote:

The benevolent witnesses benevolence and the wise spots wisdom.

Still in your element albeit tasting bitter.

有哲理!要努力!

coolfool
coolfool
China
Chinese to English
One more shot Dec 14, 2016

You said 有哲理, though I don't deserve it, because you've been fully conscious of the first sentence most probably in Chinese after I gave it my best shot. But I a bit doubt if you grasp the latter one still in Chinese owing mainly to my clumsy job. It's really really tough to translate the well-known Chinese saying from the
foreign tongue back into its text.

Be in one’s element when tasting well-timed, well-placed bitterness / tasting bitter to a tee / (perfectly) on c
... See more
You said 有哲理, though I don't deserve it, because you've been fully conscious of the first sentence most probably in Chinese after I gave it my best shot. But I a bit doubt if you grasp the latter one still in Chinese owing mainly to my clumsy job. It's really really tough to translate the well-known Chinese saying from the

Be in one’s element when tasting well-timed, well-placed bitterness / tasting bitter to a tee / (perfectly) on cue. Where there are sweets in bitterness, the sweets are inexhaustible.

Still hard for you to follow the above, I must confess.
Collapse

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:32
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Corinne McKay Dec 14, 2016

Known to be one of the most successful individuals in our line of work, Corinne McKay (http://www.proz.com/profile/50303) wrote a book on how to become a translator and be successful at it.

At the end of the day, we are entrepreneurs. Starting a business is never meant to be easy. You've only put in 1.5 months; I am frankly a little surprised that you want to call it quits so early.
... See more
Known to be one of the most successful individuals in our line of work, Corinne McKay (http://www.proz.com/profile/50303) wrote a book on how to become a translator and be successful at it.

At the end of the day, we are entrepreneurs. Starting a business is never meant to be easy. You've only put in 1.5 months; I am frankly a little surprised that you want to call it quits so early.

I am not successful by the books but the freedom and money I've managed to gain from becoming a translator has been unparallel. It took me roughly 4 months to start having returning clients, and it took at least 6 months for me to start becoming sustainable. Nowadays I rarely take in new clients as my current ones are keeping my business afloat. It took me 1 full year before I'd start calling myself a real "translator" - all the projects which came through were too sporadic within those first 11 months for me to rely on it as a sole source of income.

Instead of "lecturing" (which is not my intention), I would say you are the only one who can decide what you want. Evaluate your choices carefully. Also, what is your approach? Who are you writing, how are you contacting them? You do have a niche- you're a teacher! Translating online teaching (sessions) into Chinese and subtitling is a very popular business these days. I am sure you can find something, but the first thing you have to do is not give up so quickly.
Collapse

Timmy Feng
Sihua Yang
Min Fang

Caroline717
Caroline717
Canada
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
汉语 Dec 14, 2016

coolfool wrote:

Be in one’s element when tasting well-timed, well-placed bitterness / tasting bitter to a tee / (perfectly) on cue. Where there are sweets in bitterness, the sweets are inexhaustible.

Still hard for you to follow the above, I must confess.

那你为什么不用汉语写呢?~~

Caroline717
Caroline717
Canada
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
感谢你给我们分享你的翻译经历! Dec 14, 2016

Rita Pang wrote:

I am not successful by the books but the freedom and money I've managed to gain from becoming a translator has been unparallel. It took me roughly 4 months to start having returning clients, and it took at least 6 months for me to start becoming sustainable. Nowadays I rarely take in new clients as my current ones are keeping my business afloat. It took me 1 full year before I'd start calling myself a real "translator" - all the projects which came through were too sporadic within those first 11 months for me to rely on it as a sole source of income.

Instead of "lecturing" (which is not my intention), I would say you are the only one who can decide what you want. Evaluate your choices carefully. Also, what is your approach? Who are you writing, how are you contacting them? You do have a niche- you're a teacher! Translating online teaching (sessions) into Chinese and subtitling is a very popular business these days. I am sure you can find something, but the first thing you have to do is not give up so quickly.

谢谢Rita, 感谢你给我们分享你的翻译经历!I appreciate it very much!

我并没有放弃翻译,我只是不做付费会员了,还是普通会员,还在努力找机遇。只是迫于经济压力,我必须尽快找到稳定的来源。如果是正式会员,我还会每天盯着member only的通知。

Corinne McKay,我知道她,不过还没读过她的书。原来她也在这里~~

“What do I not offer? If you're looking for a cheap, fast translator who never asks questions, I'm not the right fit for you. I charge real money for my services, but I also want every client to feel that they got excellent value for their money by hiring me. A new client recently commented that my rates were more than they had planned on spending, but that they would enthusiastically hire me again because my attention to detail saved them time and money--that's the kind of client relationship I'm looking for. ” 我也能做得像她那么好!

Caroline717
Caroline717
Canada
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
还有一人出书分享类似的翻译工作经验 Dec 14, 2016

Rita Pang wrote:

还有一人出书分享类似的翻译工作经验,好像是英国一位男翻译,我找不到他的名字了。他出的是电子书,大约50美元。

Ivan Niu
Ivan Niu  Identity Verified
China
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
如果PROZ的会费不值得花 Dec 20, 2016

那就没有哪个平台的会费是值得花的了。

这是翻译类平台中最大的平台,也是会费最便宜的平台之一。

付费会员享有的功能,不止是可以投更多的标而已。如果你的经历吸引人,你的简历又较容易被找到,客户会主动联系你。

Caroline717
Caroline717
Canada
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
谢谢 Dec 23, 2016

Ivan Niu wrote:

那就没有哪个平台的会费是值得花的了。

这是翻译类平台中最大的平台,也是会费最便宜的平台之一。

谢谢!

Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Singapore
Member (2009)
Chinese to English
+ ...
值得的业务或推广成本 Dec 26, 2016

Ivan Niu wrote:

确实。我从未看那个job board(也没订阅通知),更不用说是投标。但我从一开始付费成为正式会员起就从未放弃会籍,甚至是在第二次续费时付了10年的会费。

不要忘记,当任何人有需求搜索译员时,搜索结果中排在前面的都是付费的正式会员,非正式会员都排在后面。ProZ的正式会员那么多,无论是中译英还是英译中,正式会员的搜索结果都要占非常多页。也就是说,如果你不是正式会员,搜索译员的人需要翻非常多页才终于能够看到你的信息。如果是我,我根本不会翻那么多页,翻几页(可能最多两三页)就不会再继续了。因此,如果你不是正式会员,你被准客户主动联系的机会就变得渺小多了。

我个人主要只使用ProZ的Blue Board功能,曾经享受过Translator Group Buy的优惠。也经常有准客户通过ProZ的directory搜索找到我并主动联系咨询。当然,ProZ并不是唯一给我带来客户的directory或来源。ProZ的会费只能算是我的业务或推广成本,而且绝对是值得的。

Min Fang
David Wang

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

有必要做正式会员吗?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »