Thread poster: Lum Nan Ti
Lum Nan Ti
Lum Nan Ti
Myanmar
English to Burmese
+ ...
Aug 13, 2019

Hi,
I have 1 year traslation experience. I never used any CAT tools on my own. I used matecat CAT for several times on TWB KATO. Can anyone sugguest which one is the best? And is it free? Is it good for Burmese to English too?
Thank you.

Kamila Oliveira
Kamila Oliveira
Brazil
Local time: 12:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Smartcat Aug 13, 2019

I don't really know if its support to Burmese-English (I work with English-Portuguese) is ideal, but I like using Smartcat. It's online, so you don't have to install anything, and its interface is quite intuitive. They offer Free, Starter, Growth and Pro plans, but I haven't felt the need to upgrade the free account so far.

Lum Nan Ti

Fatih Serdar ÇITAK
Fatih Serdar ÇITAK
Türkiye
Local time: 18:01
English to Turkish
+ ...
The CAT Tools Aug 13, 2019

Although it may depend on which CAT tool is more frequently used in the translation industry of your country, SDL Trados Studio and memoQ Translator Pro seems to be the leading ones. I myself use Memsource, Wordfast, MemoQ and SDL Trados. My comments about them would be:

Memsource is cloud-based, the most easy one to use(in terms of interface and file formats) and has a free version for freelance translators. The other versions does not have a perpetual both a monthly license.
... See more
Although it may depend on which CAT tool is more frequently used in the translation industry of your country, SDL Trados Studio and memoQ Translator Pro seems to be the leading ones. I myself use Memsource, Wordfast, MemoQ and SDL Trados. My comments about them would be:

Memsource is cloud-based, the most easy one to use(in terms of interface and file formats) and has a free version for freelance translators. The other versions does not have a perpetual both a monthly license.

Wordfast is a fine tool that has both cloud(free of charge) and desktop versions(perpetual license) ,and seems to be the most economic one in terms of a price of perpetual license.

MemoQ is a very good CAT tool. It provides free training program and also certificates your training free(see their website). The interface of the tool is really good and you will not need to go through very complex file formats. It has only two perpetual license versions to buy: Project Manager and Translator Pro. Its pricing, I can say, is by far the most expensive.

SDL Trados is my second favourite CAT tool. It is very common in my country(Turkey). The interface is a little bit difficult but with a few tutorial videos you should be able to get hold of it. Unlike in Memoq, you will need an additional widget(SDL Multiterm) or a glossary converter for termbases(it is included in your license). Its pricing is not as cheap as Wordfast but not as expensive as MemoQ, so somewhere in the middle. The only problem I can really complain about is that the pop-up errors are in complex digital codes or computer language in a way you can't understand.

Note: I cannot comment on the language pair about which you asked, as I do not know Burmese. But the tools aforementioned above contains hundreds of various languages for translations(including official languages and other languages peculiar to minority nations). Burmese, as an official language of a country, will be definitely in it.

I hope my comment helped you and answered your question properly. Please feel free to respond if you want to talk about it or something else.

DISCLAIMER: My comment is completely comprised of my own personal thoughts and intends not to promote or discredit any of the CAT tools aforementioned.

Fatih Serdar ÇITAK - An enthusiastic and eager translator.
Collapse

Lum Nan Ti

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
ImO Aug 13, 2019

Hello Lum--I, for one, rarely use CATs (preferring old free Wordfast 3.35x) for repetitive* and routine* papers only. The problem is not just a CAT segmentation makes the translation so unnatural and choppy, but also the fact that language differences (structure, tempo, fluency, peculiarities and so on) often require a vast deal of extra hard labor: rewording, removing, replacing, inserting, concatenating, and deleting--from words and phrases to clauses, ideas and paragraphs.

... See more
Hello Lum--I, for one, rarely use CATs (preferring old free Wordfast 3.35x) for repetitive* and routine* papers only. The problem is not just a CAT segmentation makes the translation so unnatural and choppy, but also the fact that language differences (structure, tempo, fluency, peculiarities and so on) often require a vast deal of extra hard labor: rewording, removing, replacing, inserting, concatenating, and deleting--from words and phrases to clauses, ideas and paragraphs.

That's why--if I really have to rework/restyle my previous translation--I prefer WF Classic which allows careful editing both source and target segments.

While in some language pairs the neutral style is remediable, the issue persists for no sensible L2 (target language) natives speak or write like that!

Besides, rather many agencies abuse CATs as a lame excuse for even lower 'best rates, internal fuzzy matches and discounts' to promote cheapish PEMT, alas.

Use everything wisely--as usually)
Collapse

Kaspars Melkis
Lum Nan Ti

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »