Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
The Angriest Email I've Sent in a While, or Whether I Should Choose to Work for Free
Thread poster: Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 03:32
Chinese to English
+ ...
Oct 11, 2020

In general, I am an advocate for not letting one's pride get in the way of one's bank account. Of course, saying something and actually doing it can be two different matters...

Context: Two Fridays ago I was asked to do a copy-editing job about 4000 words in length, due on Monday, to be performed in Memsource. Memsource assigns users to stages, and I was assigned the Copy-Editing stage, and when I first downloaded the file on Friday I was met with a warning message that the file had
... See more
In general, I am an advocate for not letting one's pride get in the way of one's bank account. Of course, saying something and actually doing it can be two different matters...

Context: Two Fridays ago I was asked to do a copy-editing job about 4000 words in length, due on Monday, to be performed in Memsource. Memsource assigns users to stages, and I was assigned the Copy-Editing stage, and when I first downloaded the file on Friday I was met with a warning message that the file had not been completed in the previous working stage. I proceeded to download the file to check it out, and found that the target segments were filled with what seemed to be machine translation, with all the artifacts of unedited MT, so I assumed that it was a machine pre-translation and that I was to wait for a translator to finish working on it to start.

Fast forward to Sunday. I checked the project again and saw the same warning message, and the same machine translation in the target segments. So I set it aside, and on Monday sent an email to the project manager. The email exchange went as follows, obviously with identifying details redacted:

From me:
Memsource is saying that the file has not been completed in the preceding workstep. Please confirm whether I should start.

From PM:
The file is fully prepared so please do start. The notification won't affect your editing.
And also please note that our agreed deadline is 9AM UK Time today as was stated in the availability check and also in the email sent upon launching the task.
Since this is behind the timeline already, please could you review the file as soon as possible and let me know? Thank you very much.

From me:
That’s because I wasn’t sure whether I could start. What I’m seeing in Memsource still looks like MT content that has not been thoroughly edited. I’m working on what I’m seeing, but I’m not sure if I’m actually seeing the translated output.

As an example, virtually all instances of (REDACTED) in the translated text is missing the space, there are instances where (REDACTED) is translated differently in the same sentence. (REDACTED) is sometimes translated correctly and sometimes not, indicating that it was likely MT output that was unchecked. Either the translation does not meet basic standards of quality to be considered an editing job, or I’m not actually seeing the completed file from the translator.

From PM:
It might be the translator's choice to leave the (REDACTED) without a space. If you think this is not the normal way for your local market, please insert your comment.
Yes I also see that there are a couple of possible mistakes from the translator as you mentioned so I need your job to confirm that they are wrong and give your editing and comments.
Besides the examples you mentioned there should be no other major consistent problems. If a problem is repetitive (like the one with (REDACTED)), you can just edit and insert your comment for once.
So please proceed as how it is and insert your comments. If you still have problems, do let me know.
Will an updated deadline like EOP today or 9AM tomorrow UK time work for you? Please let me know as soon as possible.

From PM to other PMs, forwarded to me as part of an email chain:
Hi ladies,

I'm forwarding the emails sent from Lincoln (P2 for HK (REDACTED)) so far. So to summarize the problem, he did not check the file and ask his questions after his due time. Now he's working on it and his questions are about some mistakes from P1, which I commented on in V2 to let him know. I've replied as such. But yes he might need to work a little more as the P1 was not very good. I'm waiting for his reply.

From me:
I will give you end of business today.

So I started working on the file, and with each passing segment I grew more angry and confused. It was impossibly bad; there was not a shred of consistency in it, the same terms sometimes appeared with different translations in the same sentence, one segment was missing an entire paragraph, there were absurd expressions and errors that no human should ever make.

So I tried something: I copied and pasted a few segments into Google Translate. Well what do you know.

On the whole, the file was about 80-90% similar to Google Translate. I am not exaggerating, because I went through all 322 segments and checked just about every single one of them against GT. There were maybe a dozen that did not look substantially similar to the GT output, and those were all short segments. Every single segment that was more than a dozen words was either straight-up copied from Google Translate with no edits whatsoever, or with only the most minimum effort to replace a word or two, and in the most shoddy, devoid-of-effort way that I have ever seen.

It was obvious that the majority of the edits only involved replacing the GT translation of the brand name with the actual one, as well as replacing one field-specific term that Google did not get right. But even here it was obvious that there was zero trying, because this was also the shoddiest Ctrl-H job that I've ever seen. Halfway through the file I started seeing instances of the brand name and that field-specific term that were not replaced properly, and I don't know how, because Ctrl-H SHOULD have gotten all those instances.

Give Google credit, by the way, because the GT output sometimes resembled a credible translation at first glance, at least until you actually take a closer look, which was why it took me a while to confirm my suspicions. So tell me, KY, how did you manage to ADD errors to the Google Translate output? There were about a dozen segments where Google actually got it mostly right, and somebody had to make an effort to go in there and make it wrong. And I am not just talking about misunderstanding something; I am talking about entire words missing, an entire paragraph missing, sentences being cut-off halfway for no apparent reason, all errors that Google did not make. This wasn't just a crime against translation, it was even a crime against machine translation. Who do you think you are, KY, to disobey your machine overlords? There were less segments improved by the "editing" than ones that were made worse (and again, the majority of the segments could not be considered to have been edited at all). Google 1, Human 0.

At this point I had spent a few hours on this crap, and I was fuming when I wrote:

From me:
I am about halfway through. Let me put it this way – I’m not going to ask you to pay for this at a translation rate, but do not ever send me editing projects again.

Also, since the PM had CC'ed the other staff apparently involved in this project:

From me:
Dear all,

I most certainly checked the file on Friday, and found it to be filled with MT pre-translations. I checked it again on Sunday, and again found that it seemed to be filled with MT pre-translations, so I did not proceed until I received confirmation for the go-ahead. I was included in an email chain with a 3rd-party translator, so I was assuming that I would be receiving a file that somebody has worked on.

I am now checking the history of changes, and I am finding that, according to Memsource Editor, every segment in this file was last modified on September 30th, until I started working on it today. So I am asking you now – what exactly is this piece of atrocity that you are asking me to copy-edit? Are you absolutely certain, beyond all doubt, that this is actually the file I am supposed to work on – one that has not been touched since September 30th?

From PM:

Dear Lincoln,

I launched the project with you EOP 30th September so that's why the last editing was on 30th September. According to our correspondence on Friday you did accept it on memsource and subsequently accepted it on PMS after I talked to you. For us accepting a launched project is a go-ahead step so we wouldn't have known your questions if you didn't let us know. As for this copy, I'm sorry that there are probably a few rows with some consistent problems and a few idioms that need to be retranscreated. Again, if you mentioned about not being happy to edit them earlier we also could have asked the first translator to rework on them. Objectively speaking, we are sorry that these few places need a little more editing. Apart from them, the bulk of the copy shouldn't need much more work than normal editing.
We can offer you a little more budget for your time taken on the additional level of improvement. And we understand your preference not to work on copyediting in the future.

(Bold text is editorial)
I snapped.

From me:

Actually, my preference would be for you to remove me from your database once I’ve finished this project.

I worked on this project under the assumption that I would be working on a file that has been worked on by a human, but it is clear that this has at best seen minimal and extremely sloppy editing, if there was any editing at all, because it substantially retains many of the errors in the unedited Google Translate output. You put me on the copy-editing stage in Memsource, so there was reasonable expectation that there would be somebody working on it on a previous stage.

I don’t even want to be paid. Consider it a severance fee.

From me:

This is done. I have left comments in the file. I have not bothered to leave comments in repetitions or edited MT that was at least not egregiously bad, but I estimate that about 90% of the file was substantially similar to Google Translate.

This was the greatest insult that I have been handed in my 7-year professional career. It is not the first time that I have seen a translator try to pass off GT as a translation, but I have never seen someone do that for a 4000-word job, without even making the effort to put a space back in the two-word brand name. And I am still at a loss at how this could happen at all. It looked like the agency had tried to pull a fast one by presenting a GT job as a copy-editing job, but this would mean that somebody had to go in and MAKE all those errors that Google did not commit. But if not, then that meant somebody out there submitted what was almost an entirely unedited Google translation, without making any real effort to fix the numerous obvious errors while actually making the effort to make a few new ones. Either way, did they expect me to not find out?

Anyway, when I wrote those last emails I obviously fully intended to burn bridges and did not really care whether they got back to me or not, but I put off heading to the Blue Board and leaving a rating of 1 until the anger has boiled off a little. On last Thursday, they did get back to me:

From PM:

Hi Lincoln,

We would like to thank you again for your work. We safely received it, looked at it and will soon deliver it to the client.

Sorry for the late reply as we have been investigating into the issue. We took this very seriously and I checked the copy from the transcreator again carefully. Then we asked another independent freelancer for feedback too. They agreed that the standard was poor and we have addressed this with the transcreator.

We will be lowering the transcreator's budget and would like to offer it to you for your additional time spent on it.

We understand if you no longer wants to work with us, but we appreciate the work you put in to improve the copy greatly and particularly your effort in ensuring the consistency.

Please let me know your thoughts and if you have any questions. Thanks.

So, here is where we stand now.

The only thing that matters is whether I should work with this company again. Did this company try to pull a fast one, and only tried to backtrack after being pushed back? Or should they be given the benefit of doubt?

If I do not work with them again, then the money does not matter; I am sufficiently furious that I am willing to leave the £150 or whatever they might offer on the table just to be in the best position to spite them. I believe I can do far more damage by leaving them a scathing review on the Blueboard.

However, I am still sufficiently angry that I do not believe I am able to make a cold-blooded judgment at this time. If I were to listen to what my heart tells me, I would find this latest email from the PM to be quite disingenuous, and not at all reflecting the staggering magnitude of the problem. I am also not sure if my heart is right.

So I open it to the floor - what impression do you get from this agency's communications up to this point? How should I respond to their latest message, and what do you think is the best way to deal with them moving forward?

[Edited at 2020-10-11 17:10 GMT]
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Elizabeth Tamblin

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One more thing Oct 11, 2020

By the way, if this sounds personal, it is. Insult aside, the additional time that I had to spend on doing this – and believe me, I took extra care with it out of sheer spite – took up time that I had assigned to other work, which messed up my scheduled and wreaked havoc with my very fragile circadian rhythm, and I have yet to recover. Doing this job probably cost me the equivalent of thousands of dollars.

But of course, this will never make it into any communications with a cli
... See more
By the way, if this sounds personal, it is. Insult aside, the additional time that I had to spend on doing this – and believe me, I took extra care with it out of sheer spite – took up time that I had assigned to other work, which messed up my scheduled and wreaked havoc with my very fragile circadian rhythm, and I have yet to recover. Doing this job probably cost me the equivalent of thousands of dollars.

But of course, this will never make it into any communications with a client, which is why I am opening it up to the floor, since my ability to make a cool and calm judgment on this matter clearly seems to be impaired.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:32
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Say no Oct 11, 2020

Lincoln Hui wrote:

The only thing that matters is whether I should work with this company again.

Obviously no. I think your first mistake was that you accepted a partly translated document that had obviously never been completed properly. You should have said a firm NO at that point.

[Edited at 2020-10-11 17:15 GMT]

Philip Lees
Heinrich Pesch
Vesa Korhonen

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Japanese to English
I would work with them again Oct 11, 2020

Their inability to correctly recognize a terrible translation is concerning, but based on this story alone I wouldn't drop them so quickly. A lot will depend on your history with them and their record with other translators. Their final message seems polite and sincere, and they are asking for your thoughts and feedback. This sounds like an opportunity to help them reform their work processes and become useful partners in the end. Why not give them one final chance?

Mikhail Kropotov
Angie Garbarino
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Eric Azevedo
Sheila Wilson
Zibow Retailleau

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Take the money ... Oct 11, 2020

... and wait and see. They now know - and have accepted - there was a major problem, and are also offering you some transcreator dosh instead of clamming up and being stupid about it. So the verbal aggro seems to have worked.

They seem articulate and not dough-heads, and it doesn't look to me that there's anything really untoward going on there. I see your frustration, and in a perfect world it might have been better to just say no early on, as Tom implies, but I suppose it was the
... See more
... and wait and see. They now know - and have accepted - there was a major problem, and are also offering you some transcreator dosh instead of clamming up and being stupid about it. So the verbal aggro seems to have worked.

They seem articulate and not dough-heads, and it doesn't look to me that there's anything really untoward going on there. I see your frustration, and in a perfect world it might have been better to just say no early on, as Tom implies, but I suppose it was the Friday-to-Monday scenario that put things out of sync, with all that time lost inbetween.

Your real problem is that you're still smarting with the annoyance of it all. I've always had the general impression, though, that you're a popular and competent translator who's not short of work, and you can probably take it or leave it, so what do you care? Be passive, say something like "You will understand that this kind of thing can never happen again" to them, and just be wary of their next job offer. I'm sure they'll see where you're coming from, and to me it looks like you have the upper hand, so why lose a customer for the sake of losing a customer?
Collapse

Mikhail Kropotov
Angie Garbarino
Liviu-Lee Roth
expressisverbis
Kardi Kho
Philip Lees

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Give them another chance Oct 11, 2020

Lincoln Hui wrote:
But of course, this will never make it into any communications with a client, which is why I am opening it up to the floor, since my ability to make a cool and calm judgment on this matter clearly seems to be impaired.

Not like you to let yourself get riled up, so clearly an egregiously bad project. Equally clear is that the PM wasn't on top of this. On the other hand, they are making contrite noises and they are actually offering something concrete as well as apologies. So - if they are a good client, or potentially a good client - I'd take the money and be ultra-careful if they send another project your way.

Regards,
Dan

[Edited at 2020-10-11 18:47 GMT]

Stuart Hoskins
expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Sheila Wilson
Tina Vonhof (X)
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Oct 11, 2020

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei wrote:

Their inability to correctly recognize a terrible translation is concerning, but based on this story alone I wouldn't drop them so quickly. A lot will depend on your history with them and their record with other translators. Their final message seems polite and sincere, and they are asking for your thoughts and feedback. This sounds like an opportunity to help them reform their work processes and become useful partners in the end. Why not give them one final chance?

I have very limited history with this company. At this time their Blue Board record does not raise a red flag.

I would certainly not have escalated this way if this was an established client - but I think my established clients would have acted much more promptly in addressing the situation at the first call of "this is turd". It's a matter of trust, and I am trying to determine whether to look past this breached trust.

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

They seem articulate and not dough-heads, and it doesn't look to me that there's anything really untoward going on there. I see your frustration, and in a perfect world it might have been better to just say no early on, as Tom implies, but I suppose it was the Friday-to-Monday scenario that put things out of sync, with all that time lost inbetween.

The problem is that I did not think I was looking at the file I was supposed to work on when I first checked it, since it looked very much like pre-translation MT filler, and the way that the Memsource workflow was set up made me assume that someone else would complete their work, then it would pass into my hands for editing. I could not believe that that was in fact the "ready" file, and I even wrote to check if they had accidentally sent me the untranslated file by mistake while I was working on it.

But of course, because of the Friday-to-Monday thing, by the time I started having suspicions, it was at a point where I would not have gotten a response until the file was due. I had originally planned to do it over the weekend, but because the file did not look translated I had to push it back until I received a confirmation.

By the time I realized what I was getting into, the original deadline had passed and we had to set a new deadline. While some would say it's none of my business to worry about the client's situation, the PM was clearly trying to claim that it was my responsibility for not raising my concerns earlier, and I do have a professional reputation to maintain. If there was going to be a grievance, I had to make sure that I was in the best possible position to fire my shots, and if I had to burn bridges, it was to my benefit to burn it AFTER getting them out of a bind, rather than leave them in the bind, which could make things complicated where WWAs are concerned.

Your real problem is that you're still smarting with the annoyance of it all. I've always had the general impression, though, that you're a popular and competent translator who's not short of work, and you can probably take it or leave it, so what do you care? Be passive, say something like "You will understand that this kind of thing can never happen again" to them, and just be wary of their next job offer. I'm sure they'll see where you're coming from, and to me it looks like you have the upper hand, so why lose a customer for the sake of losing a customer?

Which is why I put off making a decision immediately, and chose not to write back until I have a chance to hear the opinions of people who are not smarting about it, and can comment from a more neutral perspective.

It's not entirely what you are referring to when you asked "what do you care?", but here are all possible grounds:

- I cared about potentially dumping this client in the most spiteful way possible because I have never been handed such an egregiously bad translation to edit, and I saw in the PM's communications a clear attempt to blame me for the delay. It felt outright insulting, and there are also more practical considerations with professional reputation, as I mentioned above, which was why I finished the job in the most impeccable way possible, then told them they could keep their money.
I fully acknowledge that shifting blame is just human nature.

- I don't care about the money; as I said, I have been angry enough that I was (and potentially am) willing to pay £150 or more just for the opportunity to spite them.

- I care about determining whether they were acting fraudulently or in good faith (and were just remarkably stupid) in order to determine whether they could be worked with. As a matter of principle I keep a relatively open mind with unfamiliar clients, at least in comparison to a lot of people on this board, and I never reject clients on the basis that "I have enough work"; I always want a broader customer base and more security.

However, in this case the incident so defied belief that it was enough to generate a massive amount of mistrust. Since my perspective is so obviously clouded in red right now, however, I posted this to find out if other people would find the same reason to distrust this agency.

I'll probably take a couple more days to cool off before writing back.

[Edited at 2020-10-11 18:47 GMT]

Jocelin Meunier
Jocelin Meunier  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
One last chance Oct 11, 2020

The way they handled the communication was a bit insulting, when they tried to minimize everything that went wrong with the translation. But they did recognize it in the end, so... I'd say, keep them for now, and if they ever try another shenanigan, say goodbye to them and hello to the blueboard.

expressisverbis
Sheila Wilson
Tina Vonhof (X)
Alison Jenner
Laura Kingdon

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Rather than dumping the client Oct 11, 2020

Several years back I had a very similar experience. But the PMs weren’t as open and thoughtful as yours and didn’t have the translations checked by a third party.

Since 2016 I have refused all editing work unless the agency tells me exactly who the translator was (they rarely comply and ‘a native linguist’ does not suffice). The quality of work in my language pair varies so much that it’s so easy to get stung trying to fix a bad translation, so for the sake my own sanity
... See more
Several years back I had a very similar experience. But the PMs weren’t as open and thoughtful as yours and didn’t have the translations checked by a third party.

Since 2016 I have refused all editing work unless the agency tells me exactly who the translator was (they rarely comply and ‘a native linguist’ does not suffice). The quality of work in my language pair varies so much that it’s so easy to get stung trying to fix a bad translation, so for the sake my own sanity I’ve just refused.

Rather than cutting ties with the agency, I’d just say refuse all editing work unless you know (and respect) the linguist who did the previous step.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Tom in London
Oleksandr Ivanov

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bad translations Oct 11, 2020

Dylan Jan Hartmann wrote:

Since 2016 I have refused all editing work unless the agency tells me exactly who the translator was (they rarely comply and ‘a native linguist’ does not suffice). The quality of work in my language pair varies so much that it’s so easy to get stung trying to fix a bad translation, so for the sake my own sanity I’ve just refused.

Rather than cutting ties with the agency, I’d just say refuse all editing work unless you know (and respect) the linguist who did the previous step.

I've seen my share of bad translations, and I don't accept editing in Chinese to English because of that.

But that's just incompetence. This one was...special. I don't understand how someone could be so committed to not trying. Did they really think that nobody would notice? I suppose they had exhibit A in the agency, but I am well and truly mystified as to what kind of thought process went into this person (assuming there indeed was one) becoming hired by this agency and producing whatever this was. It's like putting out a car without an engine, brakes or steering wheel, and then expecting it to pass inspection.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lincoln Oct 11, 2020

Okay, my impressions and opinion. I understand why you are upset, but the agency's e-mails appear to me to be reasonably professional. I know from experience that one can see bad vibes where there are none, and in this case my impression is that while the PM was probably concerned about the missed deadline, he handled it in a mature, businesslike fashion.

(You saw his comments to the "ladies", but this may just be a moment in time: he may have been upset at the time that he wrote
... See more
Okay, my impressions and opinion. I understand why you are upset, but the agency's e-mails appear to me to be reasonably professional. I know from experience that one can see bad vibes where there are none, and in this case my impression is that while the PM was probably concerned about the missed deadline, he handled it in a mature, businesslike fashion.

(You saw his comments to the "ladies", but this may just be a moment in time: he may have been upset at the time that he wrote this, but it doesn't mean that the mail represents his unalterable opinion of you. Or it could be that he was trying to save face with higher-ups. So, I would ignore that particular mail and not consider it when evaluating the situation.)

If I put myself in his shoes, well, a PM is likely to defend the translator (because the agency chose the translator, and they're not going to deliberately choose a translator who is rubbish at what he does), especially if from his perspective the reviewer had waited too long before raising the issues. He did not, however, take it out on you -- so kudoz to him for putting up a professional face despite his initial misgivings about you. Eventually, his business attitude paid off, because he later determined that the translator was in fact wrong and you were right, and he is now in the position to offer you an apology without actually having been wrong himself.

What I would do in this case (if I were the translator in this exact situation), is to offer a brief apology for my harsh words, and explain that I was quite upset about the temerity of the translator to saddle up the reviewer with such shoddy work, and that I'm pleased with the professional way the PM dealt with it, and that yes, indeed, I would be happy to continue working for them. You are in an excellent position to gain some serious brownie points here and become a trusted service provider for this agency. There isn't always a silver lining, but in this case, there is.

As for who was right and who was wrong: don't tell him that, but the PM is at fault for relying on Memsource's task handover process without checking whether the translator had successfully handed over the task to the next role in Memsource. From your perspective, you were waiting for the agency (or the agency's translator) to hand over the project in Memsource. And you saw machine translated text when you checked the file, which lead to an entirely reasonable suspicion that the translator is still working on the file.

So... you were right, and they were wrong. But they were not maliciously wrong. They were just negligently wrong. I see nothing here to suggest that the agency was trying to trick you into doing a PEMT job for an editing rate.

[Edited at 2020-10-11 20:43 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Mohamad Alayoubi
Eric Azevedo
Kardi Kho
Fatine Echenique
Philip Lees
Dylan J Hartmann

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
French to Chinese
+ ...
CALM Oct 12, 2020

When I started my career years ago and got seriously upset for the very first time by work stuffs, a colleague from HK told me to think differently:
that I should split my salary into 50/50, one half for what I had done and the other half for being pissed off; and whenever I was happy, I earned that 50% for doing nothing.
If this is the angriest you've got...then you're LUCKY enough.
Do u know how much time I've wasted on things like that? NO, you don't!
The thing is, mos
... See more
When I started my career years ago and got seriously upset for the very first time by work stuffs, a colleague from HK told me to think differently:
that I should split my salary into 50/50, one half for what I had done and the other half for being pissed off; and whenever I was happy, I earned that 50% for doing nothing.
If this is the angriest you've got...then you're LUCKY enough.
Do u know how much time I've wasted on things like that? NO, you don't!
The thing is, most of my PMs don't know either the source or target language of my jobs. I suppose yours the same.
Get youself a nice gelato downstairs, then tell youself to forget it.

[Edited at 2020-10-12 02:47 GMT]
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Why give them another chance? Oct 12, 2020

That seems like the first question. Is there some piece of information we are missing here that makes this client more important or promising than the general tone of your comments suggests?
If not: This is clearly a client whom you do not trust. Nothing they say or do at this point seems likely to change that, and that is a poisonous foundation for a working relationship. In your personal situation, missing out on one good client seems like a less pressing problem than suffering from bad
... See more
That seems like the first question. Is there some piece of information we are missing here that makes this client more important or promising than the general tone of your comments suggests?
If not: This is clearly a client whom you do not trust. Nothing they say or do at this point seems likely to change that, and that is a poisonous foundation for a working relationship. In your personal situation, missing out on one good client seems like a less pressing problem than suffering from bad clients. When deciding whether or not to work with them again, I see no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt or to operate on the principle that words speak louder than actions.
Now, I almost always answer the second-chance question the way almost everyone else here has answered it and the way you seem to usually answer it, but sometimes I do reach the conclusion there is no reason to continue working with a particular client. Calm or angry, that seems like the appropriate choice for you here.

Whether or not you should give them a 1 or re-escalate the situation or throw their money in their face is a separate question. I really think that is your anger talking. Their story seems potentially plausible to me and things sometimes go astonishingly wrong even when people are doing things more or less right. I don't think their story seems compellingly convincing, but it doesn't have to be. It seems perfectly appropriate to give them the benefit of the doubt when the question is whether or not you ought to sacrifice more of your time and peace of mind to this situation and go to war with them.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Words Oct 12, 2020

Lincoln,

I copied and pasted all you've written on this so far, including your e-mails to the customer and others on the job, and also your replies to us here. I know it's a weird thing to do, but it comes to 2,677 words. That's a lot of words post-event, a lot of your time, and nobody's mood improves on such an annoying issue the more they write about it.

Maybe Kuochoe, DJ and I, for example, aren't telling you what you want to hear. It's easier to tell yourself what
... See more
Lincoln,

I copied and pasted all you've written on this so far, including your e-mails to the customer and others on the job, and also your replies to us here. I know it's a weird thing to do, but it comes to 2,677 words. That's a lot of words post-event, a lot of your time, and nobody's mood improves on such an annoying issue the more they write about it.

Maybe Kuochoe, DJ and I, for example, aren't telling you what you want to hear. It's easier to tell yourself what you want to hear, and then write to them after the couple of days you said you'd give yourself to cool off.
Collapse

Michael Wetzel
Zibow Retailleau
Johannah Morrison
P.L.F. Persio
Deborah do Carmo

Koume
Koume

Local time: 06:32
English to Japanese
+ ...
My answer is no Oct 12, 2020

Trust is the most important thing to work in any circumstances. If I think I cannot believe the agency, I will not accept any project and fade away. It could be a miss-communication but the project managers has responsibilities to build positive relations with their clients as well as their translators.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Angriest Email I've Sent in a While, or Whether I Should Choose to Work for Free

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »