Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
New computer = new headaches in store. Please help :)
Thread poster: Sheila Wilson
Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 23:28
Chinese to English
+ ...
Subscription based Aug 22, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:

2. I strongly recommend that you stay away from Office 365.

Why? What's wrong with it? I'll need a new computer soon, so it would be good to know.

Office 365 is a subscription service. Given the typical user lifecycle of Office, the cost is likely to end up far exceeding that of traditional Office software.

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Windows 10 (Home) + Office 365 Aug 22, 2017

I have had this combo since 2014 when I bought a new laptop and haven't encountered any issue. I run DVX 3 and InDesign CS in the same environment without a problem (let's not mention the latest DVX farce.)

Windows 10 - Everything will be different for you if you have not been baptised in Windows 8. It will take time to get use to the new interface etc. As to the dreadful auto-update, you can't switch if off in the Home version but you do have the option to schedule restart time to
... See more
I have had this combo since 2014 when I bought a new laptop and haven't encountered any issue. I run DVX 3 and InDesign CS in the same environment without a problem (let's not mention the latest DVX farce.)

Windows 10 - Everything will be different for you if you have not been baptised in Windows 8. It will take time to get use to the new interface etc. As to the dreadful auto-update, you can't switch if off in the Home version but you do have the option to schedule restart time to minimise disruption to work. Unless your computer needs to be part of a network regularly, I really don't see value in upgrading to a pro version although it is not expensive to do so.

Office 365 - If you are jumping from Office 2007, there is a new world for you. But again you will get use to it very soon. Google gives you everything you need to know. With an annual subscription (mine used at home is one licence for one computer), you can download any language version of the Office 365 available at any time and switch to the one you prefer. In may case, I use EN-US but also downloaded ZH-CN and ZH-TW versions. The latter two appears as language packs (proofing tools) when I use the EN version.

Laptop noise - Each case is different but usually fan-related. I know Lenovo T series often has noisy fan issues so much so a German guy wrote a piece of software to regulate fan's RPM. Turn up the radio a bit and you will hardly notice it, that's my solution.

HTH

[Edited at 2017-08-22 02:17 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:28
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Don't fear Aug 22, 2017

I shopped a year ago for a new laptop from a German online store and installed English Win7, declined from updating to 10 and switched to Office 365. Microsoft reminds you when you have to renew your subscription.
I installed first all essential software and started working. Of course it still happens that I notice I am missing something. But at the same time one gets rid of a lot of obsolete stuff. All my data is on an external disc.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 16:28
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Thanks. Aug 22, 2017

Wow, thanks, you've all been so informative.

QUOI, I can't depend on the radio/music while working. Sometimes I need silence, and with this laptop it's a constant hum it's like spinning up all the time and sometimes super spinning, like washing machine. Or perhaps Formula 1 race. Maybe this is normal to some people, but to me it's annoying.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:28
Member (2008)
Italian to English
of course.... Aug 22, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I'm just setting out on the terrifying job of switching to a new computer...

Of course, with Macs you just clone your old computer to your new one

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Office 365 Aug 22, 2017

I have Office 365 and am quite content with it. I don't think the cost is prohibitive and I received excellent support when I first installed it and something wasn't working as I expected. My subscription (Office 365 Business) also means I can install it on all my devices and if I buy a new computer I don't need to worry about transferring licences. Plus you get all the updates so you don't have to worry about your version becoming obsolete.

You need an internet connection to downlo
... See more
I have Office 365 and am quite content with it. I don't think the cost is prohibitive and I received excellent support when I first installed it and something wasn't working as I expected. My subscription (Office 365 Business) also means I can install it on all my devices and if I buy a new computer I don't need to worry about transferring licences. Plus you get all the updates so you don't have to worry about your version becoming obsolete.

You need an internet connection to download and install it, of course, but once it's installed you don't need to be online to use it, so if your connection goes down you can carry on working.

I was reluctant at first to go for the subscription option but overall I believe it was the right choice.

[Edited at 2017-08-22 08:32 GMT]
Collapse

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
About MS Office 2016 Aug 22, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:

4) If I go straight from 2007 to 2016, will there be any problems with compatibility (I suspect not)?

You could have some warnings saying that the document is from an "older" version. No problem.

BTW, I don't think I want 365.

The subscription option can have advantages, but I'm for a standalone copy (not so expensive).

4.1) Am I going to be confronted with major differences that will really confuse me and take me ages to understand?

For sure, no doubt!

4.2) If so, would it be better for me - as a rather basic IT user who is getting too old to handle too much change - to get 2010 or 2013 instead?

Not at all: the same interface (and diffculties for you).

Your solution could be : http://www.addintools.com/index.html

Within Win 10, you have OneDrive installed. Have a look at it, could also have some interest.

Good luck!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
WF compatibility issue Aug 22, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:

4) If I go straight from 2007 to 2016, will there be any problems with compatibility (I suspect not)? BTW, I don't think I want 365.
4.2) If so, would it be better for me - as a rather basic IT user who is getting too old to handle too much change - to get 2010 or 2013 instead?

I don't know if you use Wordfast, but versions of MS Office more recent than 2010 won't work with WF +Excel and PPT files, so when I recently got a new backup PC, I made sure that the 2010 version was installed. I don't seen any advantages in getting more recent versions of Office as long the 2010 one keeps working.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Office 365 Aug 22, 2017

I've had Office 365 for a couple of years and am very happy with it.
The Business version can be downloaded to 5 devices (it's not up in the cloud). It costs €105/yr before VAT, and you won't be charged VAT if you're registered in VIES.
I think I went through this site: https://products.office.com/en/business/office-365-business# and downloaded it in English wit
... See more
I've had Office 365 for a couple of years and am very happy with it.
The Business version can be downloaded to 5 devices (it's not up in the cloud). It costs €105/yr before VAT, and you won't be charged VAT if you're registered in VIES.
I think I went through this site: https://products.office.com/en/business/office-365-business# and downloaded it in English without a problem.
My Windows 10 Home came in Spanish and it was easy to switch to EN.

Re. transferring old Office settings (customised shortcuts, dictionaries, macros, etc.). You might find this blog post useful:
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/02/25/translation-programs/
It's a bit old, but most of the MS Office details still apply.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Totally against annual subscriptions Aug 22, 2017

I'm totally against annual subscriptions. Why should I pay Microsoft (or anyone else) a monthly fee for using software that doesn't give me anything new, each month? I'm sitting here thinking of the millions of Office365 users and how much Microsoft is getting for nothing, every month. They're not getting anything from me. Grrrrrrrr.....

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
I look at it this way... Aug 22, 2017

Specific to my locality:
Office 2016: $595.00 (1 install, no annual fee.)
Office 365: $77.00 (1 install, annual subscription.)

Why would you want to pay business expenses 7.7 years in advance? Grrrrrrrr.......

Tom in London wrote:

I'm totally against annual subscriptions. Why should I pay Microsoft (or anyone else) a monthly fee for using software that doesn't give me anything new, each month? I'm sitting here thinking of the millions of Office365 users and how much Microsoft is getting for nothing, every month. They're not getting anything from me. Grrrrrrrr.....

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
The specialty. Aug 22, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

The specialty of the house are those where they click "automatic renewal" on your behalf, without you being aware of it. Then you just end up watching someone playing with your money and swiping off your credit card behind your back.

The way I see it: With subscription system, I give control to Microsoft. With one-time license, I keep control on my end.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Same here Aug 22, 2017

John Fossey wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:

2. I strongly recommend that you stay away from Office 365.

Why? What's wrong with it? I'll need a new computer soon, so it would be good to know.

Good question. I have Office 2016 in the Office 365 subscription and haven't found anything significant to complain about.

We've seen a number of posts on the subject of 365, subscription or one-off. I'm set up the same way as you John, on both of my computers (and my Windows phone) and it all works remarkably well. The phone isn't the best I've had the but the compatibility/harmonisation of all three tools and the regular updates makes life on the go really easy.

[Edited at 2017-08-22 11:03 GMT]

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 23:28
Chinese to English
+ ...
595!? Aug 22, 2017

QUOI wrote:

Specific to my locality:
Office 2016: $595.00 (1 install, no annual fee.)
Office 365: $77.00 (1 install, annual subscription.)

Why would you want to pay business expenses 7.7 years in advance? Grrrrrrrr.......

On Microsoft's store page, Office 2016 Home & Student is $149.99, Home & Business is $229.99, Office Professional is $399.99. This is the US site, but I don't think MS' website is region-locked.

I've had my Office 2007 for nearly 10 years now. Since I still plan to be in business 8 years in the future, paying business expenses 7 years in advance (or really 2-3 years) makes much more sense that to continue to pay for the same product in 10 years time.

[Edited at 2017-08-22 12:33 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
and then what? Aug 22, 2017

Lingua 5B wrote:

The specialty of the house are those where they click "automatic renewal" on your behalf, without you being aware of it. Then you just end up watching someone playing with your money and swiping off your credit card behind your back.

The way I see it: With subscription system, I give control to Microsoft. With one-time license, I keep control on my end.

- and what happens if for some reason you don't pay?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New computer = new headaches in store. Please help :)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »